The Spring Cotillion

"Let me." Ruby offered, and with a flick of his wrist he grabbed a plate for Florence.

The windows were thrown wide in the great ballroom, and the curtains cinched back to allow the warm sunlight to spill in. Wonderful bouquets of pastel flowers were scattered around the room. In corners, on the stage, by the tables. Satin streamers were pinned across the large windows and doors as well. A beautiful tune floated from the small quartet situated on the stage. Delicacies and small treats were laden everywhere, nearly on every surface. Tiny round tables were strewn about the floor which help slim glasses of champagne. The room was dotted with people, all wearing gorgeous springtime colors.

Ruby placed the dish into the palm of her hand with a smile. Florence managed to hold still as his fingertips brushed her opened hand. Ruby had this wild sort of dream-like effect on her. She hated it, but lived for it all at the same time. Of course Clair did too, although his was more subdued. Florence had hopes on dancing with Clair tonight. Him twirling her wondrously across the floor so that everyone turns to look at them. The violet of her dress entwining herself around his slender beautiful figure. However, she wasn't expecting to dance with Ruby.

"Dance with me." He commanded with an inviting hand.

Florence sat the pastry back down with a flourish, and tried to regain her composure. Together they wove through the dancing mingling people so that they were closer to the music. Ruby positioned them so that they fell in a patch of golden sunlight. The sky was a wonderful cloudless blue beyond the open window panes. The whole environment was simply magical. Florence's breath hitched as she remembered dancing with Ruby in the tavern. Just how amazing it'd been. Ruby had taken a certain liking to Florence, it had only grown since that night.

He pulled her quickly in, his one hand resting firmly at her waist, and the other in her outstretched arm. Together they danced. A simple box step which didn't require much coordination and allowed them to simply admire one another. Each time they spun, the other would light up in the sunshine.

"I'm glad I came here." Ruby spoke softly.

"I too." Florence answered shakily.

"Florence do I frighten you?" He asked genuinely.

"Frighten me? No, not at all, why?" She responded, taken aback.

"I don't know, it's just... when your voice-" He trailed off.

"No, no Ruby. I'm just... nervous is all." Florence explained warmly.

"See, nervous. Why are you nervous?"

"Because I'm dancing with a handsome man. Any sensible woman would be nervous." 

His eyes sparkled deviously at that remark. "Florence." He whispered breathlessly.

"Yes?" She dared.

"I don't suppose you'd like to walk in the gardens with me would you?" His eyes flitted from hers, as if he had fibbed.

Florence agreed nevertheless, enthralled to go anywhere with him. She didn't even look for Clair as he escorted her out of the ballroom. She inhaled a big gulp of air once they'd exited the house. It was beautiful outside. The chatter of guests could be heard near the stables, most likely people arriving. Ruby led her through the garden until they had reached the back near the wrought iron gate that backed up to the woods. As they rounded a corner to make their way back, Florence slipped her hand gently into his. Ruby stopped dead in his tracks. Florence let out an audible gasp and jerked her hand back nervously.

"I'm sorry, I didn't-"

Ruby cut her off as he crashed his lips onto hers. He could tell she was startled, but she didn't make any move to resist oddly enough. Florence stumbled over skirts and the two fell to the grass at their feet. Luckily, a good sized azalea shrub concealed them from the rest of he garden. Ruby hastily shoved her down farther behind the large hedge as to not be spotted. Florence arched her back to bring herself closer to him. Ruby understood very well the effect he had on her.

Slowly, he moved his hand between the two. He gently placed his hand on the back of her neck to draw her closer towards where he lay on the grass. He angled her down to him. Florence sucked in a breath. Ruby's lips collided with hers once more.

She could feel everything. He was different from Clair. His touch was rough and passionate, but gentle at the perfect moments. It felt like they had waited forever for this moment. Until neither could bear it any longer. She wanted more.

 Florence only tasted him, the champagne now sweet and pungent upon his lips. She cocked her head to the side to explore even more of him. Ruby allowed her to, murmuring sweet nonsense across her bottom lip. Words in French.

"Oh mon Dieu."

"Plus proche."

"S'il vous plaît."

"Oh my God."

"Closer."

"Please."

Florence inhaled his words, not caring if she didn't understand them. With a soft tug he pulled away. The kiss left her mind reeling, but she only slumped against Ruby once more. She curled into his side, the air now filled with their warm flustered breaths.