Hide n' Seek

Clair was greeted with a bar devoid of either Ruby or Florence. He heaved a sigh and flung himself onto the bar stool. With dreary eyes he ordered scotch. Clair sat alone and drank. Apart from Cathryn, his family, his home, and Florence. The only one he was happy to be away from was Ruby, who conveniently showed up momentarily.

"Found your amoruex?" Ruby took a seat near him.

"lover?"

"Don't say that." Clair warned wearily.

"What, that she's your lover? It's evident you're in love with her Clair. You can't fool me." He answered cockily.

"I'm not in love with her, that would be horrific." Clair choked out.

"Oh please, you aren't even truly related, it's only frowned upon." Ruby rolled his eyes nonchalantly.

Clair jerked his head to face Ruby for once, a spark in his eye. Ruby actually understood, was almost defending his love for his step-sister. Then Clair watched as Ruby's face melted into a devious smile.

"I'm merely teasing you Clair." Ruby scoffed with a smirk.

"Where's Florence?" He asked confusedly.

"Running off somewhere, she can handle herself you know?" Ruby announced.

"I didn't mean it in that way. I've known her longer, I understand she's indepen-"

"Hardly any longer than myself, and you've got no right to think you know her better." He interjected cooly.

"I do." Clair answered firmly.

"I understand you've been seeing her."

"At night, I mean." Ruby added with a grin and raised eyebrow.

"I could see you from my window. God knows what you did to her." He exclaimed with just enough smile to infuriate Clair.

"I haven't done anything to her. Perhaps you shouldn't be spying on us from your window Ruby!" He shot back with pursed lips.

"Oh no, I shouldn't, but imagine how Cathryn would feel if she knew you've been sneaking off with her." Ruby allowed him a pitiful smile.

Suddenly, Cathryn herself appeared.

"Oh, how lovely! I've been caught amidst a petty dispute." She gave a groan and planted herself between the boys.

"I don't care what is is about, don't tell me." She tossed her head side to side.

"Now, where is Florence. I've got an idea and it requires all four of us." Her arms were crossed over her chest in defiance.

"Stay here." Cathryn set off into the crowd.

She returned dragging Florence behind her by the wrist. The two girls stood before them.

"Now, let us all go outside to hear my marvelous idea." She didn't wait for the other three to follow.

They did. Ruby, Florence, and Clair trailed out of the bar and into the fresh air. The moment they stepped out, the mischievous grin decorating Cathryn's face was enough to make Ruby sigh.