Backstabbing and Tragedy

Sam instantly flung himself onto the chaise Cathryn had sat on a few days ago. Ruby stayed warily near the door. Cathryn stood in the center of the large Persian rug with her hands on her hips. Clair stood close by Florence, his hand itching to hold hers.

"I'd like to point out that your dancing partner stole my breakfast!" Cathryn huffed in a shrill tone.

Ruby's face took on a confused yet amused twinkle.

"Oh please, this woman is still going on about her 'precious scones!'" Sam cried out dramatically, with a glance towards Florence.

"Speaking of scones!" Sam added with a leap from the chaise.

Pointing a demanding finger at Florence he announced, "You murdered my son! I know it was you!" Sam began to take menacing steps towards her.

"I really don't see what that has to do with-" Ruby began quietly.

"I've told you time and time again sir! It was't I who murdered your son. It was Clairence!" Florence interrupted Ruby, spinning to face Clair in the process.

He jumped into it instantly, "Please spare me, I'm telling the truth I swear. I'd never do such thing!"

"I say we kill him." Ruby drops his tone to mimic that of an old detective of sorts.

He strides over, lighting an invisible cigar between his perfect lips. Florence giggles at the sight of him like this. All young-seeming and vulnerable, nothing like his usual wine drinking cocky self. Cathryn interrupts Florence's trail of thoughts.

"Oh, daddy! He's the one who killed him, I know he is!" She mewled towards Sam, who's face lit up with glee that he'd managed to get everyone on board.

"No please!" Florence pleaded as Sam drew an imaginary rifle and aimed it towards Clair.

Just before he managed to pull the imaginary trigger, Florence dove gracefully in front of Clair to shield him. She landed with a grunt and clutched her mid-section as she pretended to die.

"How dare you kill her!" Ruby fumed quite realistically as he marched over to Sam who cowered back into a bookshelf.

Meanwhile, Clair dashed over to Florence almost dead body and leaned over her. Florence tried to hide her laughs as Clair pretended to weep over her. With a last drawing breath she raised a weak finger towards Ruby.

"Remember... remember I-" Her hand fell to the floor with a muffled thud and her eyes went shut.

All around her the children burst into a cacophony of laughter. Even Ruby. Blinking open her eyes, she found his hand extended downwards to her. With a short smile she allowed him to help her up from the library floor. His hand briefly skimmed her waist as he helped right her.  Florence shivered.

"Backstabbing and tragedy!" Sam exclaimed proudly.

"So who really did kill your son?" Cathryn asked with a smile and she turned to face Sam.

"I guess we'll never know." He answered with a wink directed towards Florence.

"I suppose this can make up for you stealing my breakfast. It was getting rather boring in this household." Cathryn answered.

"Boring? Oh we'll make sure that never happens again." Same replied happily.

"I still don't quite see how that story was tied to scones." Ruby announced haughtily.