The Whole Story

"They're going to notice we're missing!" Florence whined up at Ruby.

"I don't care. This is wonderful." Ruby breathed out his words as if they were a song.

"I know, I know, but this is a dance after all." She complained.

"Please, Florence." Ruby was rendered utterly captive to her.

"Remember all those insignificant times I touched you?" He asked out of the blue.

"I know you do; the carriage, the attic, in the library. I could practically feel the desire radiating off of you, God." He muttered to himself.

"You were much too intimidating for me to even speak to." Florence teased.

"Intimidating? I'm not sure that's the proper word." He clucked his tongue thoughtfully.

"We still have to get downstairs." She reminded him.

"A little while longer."

"Ruby, we can't."

"Will you at least dance with me?"

"Of course I will dance with you."

"Do you remember that night at Devil's Tavern?" He asked her gently.

"It felt like a dream." She reminisced.

"You- you put your head on my chest." He sputtered out, marveling at the thought.

"It was lovely. You dancing with me like that." Florence whispered back.

After a moment of quiet she added, "I don't want you to leave."

Ruby caressed her check gently and rolled over to his side to get a better look at her face. His worn thumb stroke carefully over her cheekbones.

"You'll do wonderful without me." He reminded her gently.

Something seemed to be crushing down on her shoulders. "I'm never going to see you again. Ever." She muttered, staring at the ceiling.

"We don't know that for sure my love. Perhaps your father would invite me to stay again." Ruby tried to comfort her.

"I doubt he will. I'll miss you so much." She whispered against his golden cheek.

"When do you think you'll be leaving?"

Ruby sighed. "My uncle sent me a letter only a day ago. He'll arrive here next week to take us all back."

Florence gasped. "Next week?"

"I promise I'll make it feel like forever." Ruby pleaded with her.

"But how?" She asked hopelessly.

"I'll spend every second with you. Your father is working and your mother as well, nobody will think anything of it." He explained hurriedly.

"I don't want you to go. I feel like I know you." A tear ran from the corner of her eye making Ruby's heart contract.

He pulled her closer into him. "You do know me." He confirmed.