Little Bit of Ruby

The candlelight bounced across the walls of the Fawn estate. Ruby lay sprawled across the luxurious bed in the east wing. No matter how hard he tried, sleep wouldn't come. The guilt he suppressed during the day ate away relentlessly at him at night. As much as he loved Cathryn he knew he was wrong. It was impolite and absurd for him to keep chasing after her like this. But something drew him in each time.

It hurt to know that Cathryn wasn't in love with him anymore. Ruby remembered when they were together. Just how happy he'd been, for once. He wasn't happy with his uncle, he wasn't happy studying abroad in France, he wasn't happy nearly ever. And now the one thing had the ability to bring him joy had flickered out. Snuffed down by the angry screams that night in the rain. Well, there was one more thing that had the ability to make him truly happy.

Maylis. The constant and striking image and reminder of her mother. Ruby smiled at the thought of his baby girl. Asleep peacefully in her crib. He didn't care what people would think of him for having a child so young. Maylis was now the only person who loved him. At least he hoped she did. With a mixture of sad and happy tears trickling down his face, Ruby made his way to his daughter's room.