The Last Week

The last week shared together had been the most wonderful. The four children shared laughs together in nearly every room of the home, including the attic. In fact, some of Florence's best memories of the four were made in that very parting week.

She spent equal time with Ruby and Clair, putting aside her struggle and acknowledging how she felt like they had both advised. Meals together were happy, and saying goodnight in the main hallway each night made her day. Clair would read to her on occasion and then wake up beside her in the mornings. Ruby took her dancing through the gardens, explaining what living in France had been like.

She shared several affectionate moments with both. Each more exhilarating than the next. Sometimes she'd doubt how she felt for one, but each time they convinced her other wise. Ruby continued to amaze her with his witty behavior and sarcastic remarks. Clair wrote more and more, letting her read each draft each time. Cathryn always provided the three with an excuse to gasp at something she'd said, then burst into a fit of laughter. Hide n' Seek was played yet again. This time Ruby won.

Some days they would sit completely silent in the library and all read for hours. Other's they'd go their separate ways. Into town, to play dollies with Aurora, accompany each other lying on the grass. Each moment spent with the four together was magical. They'd all grown so close, even Ruby and Cathryn. Although I wouldn't go so far as to say they liked each other. Their last week together was something Florence felt she'd reminisce on when she was old.