Surprise

Just as Florence stepped out of the door, she was greeted with a surprised Cathryn. Florence shrieked, taken by surprise. She quickly rose her hand up to her mouth so Mintie would not come hurrying along. Clair was at the door in a moment. He stood there startled, staring at the two girls.

"Oh, I'm terribly sorry. I just wasn't expecting Cathryn, you see." She fumbled, looking towards Clair for help.

"You were looking for me?" He turned to Cathryn, almost entirely ignoring Florence.

Her hair was drawn back now, a contrast to her now seemingly unkempt waterfall curls from yesterday. She wore a powder blue dress, with a surprisingly low cut neckline. Her parasol dangled from her fingers at her side.

"I just wanted to see if you'd like to go for a stroll with me." Cathryn murmured shyly.

It seemed unusual for her to be shy to Florence.

"Oh, why yes of course." Clair beamed, taken aback by her gesture.

He retreated back into his room momentarily, presumably grabbing a top hat or cane or something of the sort. Florence simply straighten her shoulders, nodded towards Cathryn, and stalked off. She scowled at the floor.

"I apologize. I didn't mean to scare you." She heard Cathryn's small whimper.

It seemed impossible to be frustrated with her.

"It's nothing." Florence brushed off the situation, turning the corner.

She entered her room, Mintie already standing attentively.

"I've picked out an outfit for you Miss." She announced pleasantly.

"Thank you Mintie."

Florence was able to relax as Mintie dressed her. There was no real reason to be upset anyways. Clair had indeed not fulfilled Florence's dreadful assumptions of last night. She was ashamed to have thought so lowly of him, and Cathryn had only asked him if he had wanted to walk. A simple ladylike gesture, she consoled herself.

"But why should I care about their business?" She grilled herself.

She had no real reason to, they were only temporary guests.

"I barely even fancy him anyways." She reminded herself.

"He'll be gone soon enough." She thought with a frown.

"What's wrong Miss?" Mintie broke her from her stupor.

"Oh nothing. I'm quite alright." Florence assured her with a smile.

Mintie shook her head as if she didn't believe the girl, but she didn't press. She only fastened her hair back, pinning it into place with several pins from and old opal container. Florence took the responsibility of putting on her own earrings. Single pearls, with a golden lace rising up the sides.

Once Mintie had left, Florence admired herself briefly in the vanity before settling into a chair. She opened the briefcase yet again, pulling it up to her face this time. She inhaled Clair's sweet sent, she ached for him. It was a medley of old leather, parchment, and a hint of lavender. Florence noticed how silly she looked. Yanking the case away from her face, she pulled a paper out and began reading instead.