Simpson's in the Strand

It was only a about a thirty minute carriage ride into the heart of London. At around midday, Mrs. Fawn decided that Fawns and company should travel into town for dinner. There was a place they'd always adored. Simpson's in the Strand. It was a luxurious restaurant, heavy drapery, shiny flooring, and men and women in expensive finery. Cathryn had changed into a deep wine colored dress. Florence envied it, Cathryn could pull it off seamlessly, but she felt she'd look clumsy in it. It belled out slightly around the hips, and cinched neatly over her chest. Florence's recognized Mintie's handiwork in Cathryn's hair. It was pulled back taut with a midnight black ribbon which provided a stark contrast to her blonde hair. Around her neck wound a choker of gleaming pearls.

Ruby stood haughtily on the back steps of the estate. His left hand rested gently atop a mahogany cane. He wore an emerald green vest beneath his coat. Patterns and swirls of golden lines mingled with the green. Ruby's coat was a dark navy blue, almost black. The colors suited him impossibly well.

Clair stood by Ruby. He wore his best boots, ones he'd gotten for his last birthday. For pants he wore slender sand colored ones. Clair's long dark green coattails brushed up against his leg in the breeze. Underneath his forest green coat he wore a plain brown button down shirt.

Florence stood on the steps above the three other children as they all studied each other silently. She wore gray blue dress that belled out much more than Cathryn's. It had been a pain to get her hoop skirt on, but Mintie's aid was nice. The top of the dress was adorned with clean white lace and a boxy neckline. Florence felt regal. Her spotless white gloves complimented the lace as well. Florence knew she looked striking as she stood there. Her curls were piled into a wondrous heap atop her head. Florence's dress swayed as she walked down the steps. Clair immediately took notice to her, desperately trying not to stare at her. Ruby, on the other hand kept his eyes hungrily on her. His deep brown eyes raked her figure up and down. Florence steadied herself as to not plunge right into his glorious gaze. Florence felt compelled to stand near him, feel his body heat radiating onto her. Instead, she took her place beside Cathryn, who admired her dress politely.

"You look wonderful, where have you gotten your dress?" Cathryn asked breathlessly.

Florence smiled, "My cousin Sam, he bought it for me last time he came to visit."

"You do look lovely." Ruby gestured.

Florence understood he was simply being polite, yet it still made her veins course with pleasant flames. Cathryn flushed angrily at Ruby for complimenting Florence. Startling herself, she drew up her back, upset she'd even been jealous. Clair gave a nod of affirmation to Ruby's compliment.

"Thank you." Florence tried to steady her shaky voice.

Ruby noticed her nervousness and shot her a grin that made her nearly melt. Florence followed his eyes as they flickered to the top of the steps. Aurora was bounding down in her pink dress, followed by Jacob, and lastly the two Fawn parents. They beamed down at the children as if they were there own. Cathryn allowed herself to be lost in their proud gazes for only a moment. 

"Perhaps Mr. and Mrs. Fawn would understand our love for each other." Cathryn rested her eyes on Clair.

"We aren't even truly related." She told herself.

Aurora came to a halt in front of the older children, staring longingly up at Cathryn. She'd grown fond of the young girl as well. Noticing she wasn't clutching her usual doll, Cathryn raised her eyebrows.

"Where's Rose?" She asked curiously, lowering herself down to Aurora's height.

Florence thought she saw Ruby wince slightly as she did so, but she brushed it off impatiently.

"Mother said I must leave her at home tonight." The little girl answered with sad eyes.

"I have to leave Maylis home as well, don't fret mon cher." Ruby consoled her.

"My dear."

Only Cathryn registered the weight of his phrase. Only she understood how strong the bond was between a child and their father. She rose back to her full height pursing her lips and studiously avoiding Ruby's eyes. Augustus ordered the four older children to take the carriage led by Tammy the horse, whom Ruby recognized from before. Florence braced herself for the ride into town, she could already sense it would be interesting. Aurora and Jacob were to accompany the parents in a separate carriage.

Ruby entered the carriage first, extending his hand down to Cathryn who politely declined with a swish of her wrist. Florence barely registered a look of hurt flash across the boy's face, but he soon concealed it with his steely amused look per usual. Now, he offered his hand down to Florence. Delicately, she placed her slim fingers into his. Seemingly effortlessly he hoisted her up into the carriage's body. Leaving her breathless just from the rush of coming into contact with his skin.

"Merci." Florence exhaled.

"Thank you." 

"Bien sûr." He replied immediately.

"Of course."

He muttered something else in French under his breath, but it was much too jumbled for Florence to understand. Leaving her puzzled as to what he said, he shut the carriage door promptly.