Pool of Diamonds

Ruby observed as the figures embraced below. The gas lamps all snuffed out now, it was difficult to see, but Ruby watched it all. The sheer gray of the girl's dress, the lacquer shine on Clair's shoes. Ruby didn't feel any hatred towards Clair, just a constant, slight, ever-growing annoyance. The thing that puzzled him most was just that here, Clair was kissing this girl he'd only, presumably, just met.

A glimmer of hope bloomed within Ruby, perhaps there was some way he could have Cathryn again. Although, the red welt on his cheek contradicted him. The two below eventually separated and ran off into the gardens. With a sigh, Ruby fell back onto his large bed in the Fawn estate. The wood creaked beneath him as he lay staring up at the ceiling. With Cathryn's face tormenting his thoughts, he pulled himself under the covers, hoping to block her out.

Buried beneath the lush blankets, he found solitude. Reminding himself of Maylis, who had become a very important figure in his life. His precious reminder of Cathryn, their child. His thoughts became muddled, and he found himself at last, sleeping pleasantly.

In the gardens below, Clair dragged Florence along the pathways through the garden, despite her protests.

"Clair it's late!" She whispered, although there was nowhere else she'd rather be right now.

They continued at a fast pace, the trees and shrubbery spiraling up around them. All of it made into a green blur spotted with lavender, pastel pink, and bright yellow flowers. Eventually, Clair drew up short in front of were the forest lie. Separating the Fawn estate from the city of London, was a vast expanse of pine trees. Florence heaved in ragged breaths, standing bewildered before the towering trees.

"Come." Clair whispered, urging her towards the path the carriage took earlier.

Florence took small steps towards him, slightly frightened by the ominous feel of the trees enclosing them. The forest carried an eerie feel with it, a snap of a twig was sure to send Florence racing off in the other direction. Looking towards Clair for guidance, he beckoned her further along the path.

"It's fine." He assured her, spinning around in a circle happily to prove his point.

Florence shook her head uneasily. Clair extended his hand, which Florence quickly took in hers. Pressing herself up against him, enough that she could hear his heart racing. Side by side, they ventured down the path, Florence completely unaware as to where he could be taking her. Eventually, she couldn't contain herself, and ventured to ask exactly what was going on.

"Clair, where are you taking me?" Spoke Florence, softly as to not disturb the forest.

"Shh. You'll see." He hushed her, smoothing her hair down neatly.

Florence bit her lip and suppressed a smile at that. They continued treading down the path, the gravel crunching underfoot. Eventually, Clair slowed his pace. Sharply, he turned to the right, revealing a small clearing in the woods. Florence looked at him, a weary smile occupying her face.

"Don't worry, almost there." He announced.

"But Clair, how do you even-" She began fitfully.

"Florence, love, just wait."

Clair began to stride into the clearing now, the sound of gravel morphing into the soft carpet of pine needles. Florence reluctantly followed after him, skirts bunched up her hands. Her eyes nervously darting in between trees. Clair continued marching along carelessly in front of her. She rolled her eyes at his determination, but still admired his fierceness at the same time. Reaching for her wrist, he pulled her closer.

"Clairence where on earth could you possibly-"

Florence drew in a sharp breath at the sight revealed before her. Clair, in turn, watched as she surveyed the scene. Tucked behind the trees, lie a quiet ethereal pond. It was crystalline and radiant, the moonlight reflecting in the small ripples. Rocks hugged the edges, and a lush green blanket of grass adorned the rim of the pond. Florence raced to edge, peering down into it's waters. 

"It seemed like a place mermaids would dwell." She studied thoughtfully.

She sensed Clair's presence beside her, yet she continued to admire the beauty before her. Although the beauty next to her was quite spectacular as well. She could make out white sand in it's depths, hear Clair's gentle breaths beside her. Florence angled to face him, eyes bright with admiration.

"How did you find this?" She started breathlessly.

In response, Clair grinned, and stepped closer to the water. With a wink, he gracefully leaped into the pool. Florence reared back sharply in astonishment. The splash sprinkled her face, dusting her eyelashes with glitter. Florence's hand flew to her mouth in sheer surprise at Clair's bead bobbed back up at the surface. He seemed coolly unamused at the fact he'd just jumped in.

"Clairence!" She scolded him with heavenly laugh.

"You're in your clothes!" She remarked, stamping her foot playfully.

"And so are you," Clair observed with a raise of an eyebrow.

"Although I have the funniest feeling I almost wish you weren't." He mused teasingly under his breath.

Florence let out an exaggerated gasp, heart still pounding at his silly joke.

"Now, I'd appreciate if you'd join me." Clair proposed from below.

"Join you?!" Florence mimicked, arms crossed defiantly over her chest.

"Oh come on!" Clair pleaded.

Despite being in her gown, Florence smooth back her hair. Drawing in a deep breath, she could see Clair's smile widening at the realization that she truly was going to jump in. Racing towards the edge, dress whipping behind her, she plunged into the icy pool of diamonds.