XLVI

"I brought some buddies with me," I hear Trace say, one of Mitch's old friends who comes around a lot. He walks in with three other guys, all of us hanging out in the kitchen. I flick my cigarette in the dish and grab a beer from the fridge, joining Nick out in the living room.

We talk and hang out, catching up and smoking for a while. I turn my head and see one of Trace's friends looking at me, my head nodding to acknowledge him.

"Question for ya," he says, my attention turning to him. "You have your soulmate yet?"

My lips purse and I already know I'm not going to like where this is going. Lina is a sensitive subject when others are involved. I'm very possessive of her; I'm aware of the fact.

"Why do you need to know?" I ask, trying not to jump to conclusions here. I see Nick turn to us and he takes a seat at the end of the table.

"The tattoo you got up here," he starts, moving his hand to his chest. "Reminds me of a tattoo a girl I fucked had."

My body is on my feet and I feel Nick press his hand to my chest to stop me. "Don't fucking start with me," I state, Nick backing off.

"Mate, drop it," Nick tells him, but I watch this guy laugh it off.

"Why should I? I fucked his soulmate," he laughs, my hand slamming into his face. I have it in my mind almost immediately that I can't take any punches. I can't hurt Lina.

"Don't fucking talk about her," I warn, his body turning to face mine. He spits at me, my anger growing.

"Kid, you can't stop me even if you tried," he sneers, and I lose it after that. I don't know how long I hit him for, but I feel his elbow jut into my mouth, splitting my lip.

"You fucking tell me that shit again and you're dead," I spit at him, his eye already swelling.

"You're a no good piece of shit," the guy yells, my hand grabbing his shirt. Blood smears onto his shirt and I feel as though a vein in my neck is going to burst with how angry I am.

"You are a motherfucking shithead. I'm not going to fucking hear your bullshit. Get the fuck out!" I yell, but I suffer a hit to the face. He laughs at the fact he got a hit in, my breathing rapid.

"Every damn time you think about her, you're going to think of my fist fucking up your face," the guy spits. "You better think about the fact I had her pussy before you."

My mind goes blank and I shove him, kicking him. My shirt is grabbed and I watch as a body wedges between me and the guy, black hair the first thing I see.

Lina.

"I couldn't even tell you your fucking name. You're a dumbass and a piece of shit who I shouldn't have wasted my fucking time on," she yells at him, my hand grabbing her wrist to get her away from him. But she shakes it off and steps closer to the man. I damn near have a heart attack when he smiles at her.

I'm ready to kill him.

"I still got with ya, didn't I baby girl?" he sneers, Lina kicking him in the dick. He hunches over and I watch as she pushes him away.

"Did you make me come? No. Do you have a small ass dick? Yes. But most importantly, did you come in five seconds? Yes. Get the fuck out of here or I'll kick your ass along with him!" she yells, his body walking away.

I'm furious; furious being an understatement.

Lina turns around and looks at me, but she walks right past me. She is not playing this game with me today. I'm not going to put up with her shit; I'm defending her from the bullshit of her past.

"You don't get to fucking walk away," I grit, grabbing her arm and turning her around when I catch up to her outside.

"I can't win. No matter what happens there's always something that's going to fuck everything up! I don't want another lecture," she sighs, turning around. I pull her back once more.

"I can't stand it when people, or you, talk about you having sex before me. It's because I hate to think about it," I remind her for the millionth time, her eyes rolling.

"You're a hypocrite Harry! You've had sex too!" she yells. My mind is unable to comprehend how we're having this conversation again. It always manages to make me angry.

"You make it about you," she tells me, walking away before I have the chance to defend myself. It's not about me; it's about her. I'm trying to make sure she stays mine.

"You didn't have to come to my fucking rescue. I'm a grown ass man. I don't need you to fight for me," I tell her, her body continuing to walk away from me.

"Shut up, Harry," she calls out, making me clench my jaw. I'm not going to take this from her; I've fought with her too damn much to let her walk away. I catch up to her, taking note to the tears on her cheeks.

"Don't you fucking tell me to shut up. I'm trying to understand why the fuck you broke up a fight not meant for you to fight," I explain, her eyes rolling.

"I wasn't breaking it up for me to fight it for you! He's a piece of shit I threw to the curb!" Lina yells, tears spilling from her eyes. I want to grab her face and brush them away, but I can't bring myself to.

"Just because you threw him to the side, can't undo what happened!" I yell, running my hand through my hair. I know I'm a hypocrite, but I'm so protective of what I have with her. I don't like the idea of someone, like this guy, showing up and telling me about what happened between the two of them.

"You're a fucking asshole, Harry. You can't undo screwing other girls, just like I can't unscrew guys," she has to remind me, my eyes rolling.

"I can't keep fighting guys like that," I say, and she throws her arms up in anger.

"I didn't tell you to!" she expresses, my head shaking at her response.

"Any man who mentions you in that kind of way is damn near begging me to kick their ass. You're mine, Lina!" I yell, and she's now the one shaking her head. I'm growing so fucking frustrated.

"What? What is your problem?" I ask, taking a step towards her. She shoves at my chest and I watch as her tears fall.

"You are! You always get angry at my past and I fucking hate it!" Lina yells at me, my hands grabbing her wrists. "Just let it stay in the past!"

I stare down at her, not wanting to let her go. I've fought too damn hard to get where I am with her and I can't stop now. For fuck's sake, I love the girl in front of me, but she infuriates me to no end.

"I hate knowing that other people have had you before me," I remind her once again.

"Jealousy is a terrible trait on you," she whispers, pulling away from my grasp. She turns on the sidewalk, wiping her cheeks.

"It looks just as bad on you, you know?" I call out, and she raises her middle finger at me.

I'm trying to force her to turn around because I can't see her walk away again. There are things she's done in the past to make sure people know I'm hers. It's my effort to show she's all I want.

"You can't stand it when girls look at me. I know you hate it!" I yell out, her body turning back around.

"Because I love you! I love you, you fucking dick!" she yells at me, my eyes widening at her words. Her tears fall, and she walks away. My heart feels like it stopped and I feel my stomach drop.

I can't move; I'm frozen. Lina loves me, and I'm the fool who can't catch up to her because a feeling I've never known is coursing through my body.