HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME

S A S H A P O V

Move, just amble away. I keep telling myself, but I'm not listening to my own thoughts. I hate it when this happens, when my mind is blank, and my body can't move. 

Stared at the guy with the gun. Not sure if I should laugh, cry, or move? All I know is that I'm frozen in fear to the spot, too afraid to even glance around. He straightens, wipes his sweaty face with his hand, and slowly advances towards me, showing his exposed chest muscles. 

My heart is pounding, my breathing is hurried, my mouth is dry, and my lips quiver. He's going to kill me, but I dare blink my eyes for the pure fear, which I didn't want to do. "Boo." I jumped from the seat with Sarge sneaking up on me. I got too engrossed reading my book.

Placed my book down on my desk to peer up at Sarge, with a smile, the guy I'm dating, and he's cute, sexy, and surprisingly geeky. We've only been going steady for six months. "You ready to leave?" He asks, taking my coat to hand me. "It looks like you want me to leave," I said with a laugh, and he nods, drawing my hand in his, so we can leave. My boss had already left a while ago and didn't show signs of him coming back.

We exit the elevator into the lobby when my boss, Mr Archer Waitland, is heading straight for us. "Sasha, you can't leave yet. We have work to do." He strides right past me to enter the elevator, not utter another word, or give me time to speak. Stood with my shoulders slumped and spoke before the elevator doors closed. "Sir, I have plans for tonight." I'm pleading with him. 

Sarge didn't appear happy at all. "If you value your job, you will do what I say. You have five minutes to make your mind up." He spits gazing at his watch and lets the elevator door close.

Shift to glance at Sarge. "I'm sorry, Sarge. I should go." He kisses me. "It can't be helped. You got other birthdays. I'm sure we'll celebrate one." He's too sweet. 

Watched him leave the building and stepped into the elevator to head back to my desk. Not happy I'm missing out on my birthday, but I never have a happy birthday, so why should this one be any different?

***

Stood at my desk and placed my coat and bag down, drawing in a breath. "Sasha, order food and let's get on with the reports." He shouted from his office, and I glanced over to his door, which is wide open, to notice him standing by his desk. I'd like to ram my fist in his face and watch him. Err. Yep, I'm angry and upset. 

But he's tall, sexy, dark haired, teasing, and goddamn annoying. I've been working here for three years for this guy, and he's always been the same hotheaded and arrogant at times. Perhaps three years too long to put up with his shit, but it's a job I like, and he keeps well away from me. Which suits me fine. 

But everyone in the office knows he's having an affair with Britney, who's a secretary from another department, and to top it he's married. Yep, married with a mistress, what can I say? There's just too much office gossip circulating, and I'm not the one to get involved with idle chit chat, but I get to hear about.

What can I say? There's a lot of gossip that circles around the office. They all thought he would've advanced his charm on me. Simply because he had an affair with his last secretary, which didn't end well. 

But I'm his annoying quick mouth secretary, and he's got no interest in whatsoever? Which is a blessing when you got so many rumours and accusations. Can't be doing with all the office drama., it's not me, and if anyone attempts to accuse me, I shut them down immediately.

***

Pick the phone up to order his food from his preferred restaurant. I don't feel like eating, I've lost my appetite. Stepped into his office to get to work.