[𝟏] 𝐒𝐨𝐫𝐫𝐲 𝐄𝐱𝐜𝐮𝐬𝐞

I threw my backpack to the floor, pushing Ray inside the house

"School is over, you nerd, put down that backpack!" I growl happily. She giggled, shoving me out of the way.

That day was the last day of school; I was so happy that the day was finally over. Me and some friends were going to go on a trip that summer and all I could think about was going on that trip without parental supervision. It was beyond exciting.

I hopped onto the counter where mom had been cooking. I reached for what she'd been preparing when she slapped my hand away, giving me a familiar look.

"This is for Ray and Dad, Gracie." She said to me. I scoffed, crossing my arms.

"And what about me? Hold on, nevermind, the air seems like it's especially flavorful this afternoon." I sigh, feigning contentment. She chuckled.

"You're your father's daughter, Grace." Shaking her head amusedly, she pointed to a bowl of salad not far from the other food, making me frown.

"I want you to cut down on the calorie intake. You'll get bigger, baby." She cupped my cheek lovingly, and I laughed.

"You say that like I'm shaped like a boulder." I wasn't by any means 'fat'; I will admit I wasn't skinny, but I sure as hell was not big.

"Well, honey, you kind of are-"

"Wow, that's messed up, mom," Ray scoffed, shaking her head at mom in disappointment.

"I'm being honest!" She defended. She then looked around the counter, sucking her teeth. "We're missing garlic."

"I can go to the store." Ray offered, reaching over the counter for mom's keys. Mom shook her head, grabbing her keys.

"No worries, baby. I'll be back, don't eat anything, Grace." She said sternly as I lifted my arms in surrender.

Once the door shut behind her, I picked at the prepared food.

"Grace, are you kidding me?" Ray laughed as I shrugged.

"Hey, she didn't specify what she meant by anything." I defended myself and giggled when Ray started picking at the food too.

"You're unbelievable." She chuckled.

"You love me, twin." I exaggerated the last word as I spread the sauce from what we were picking at all over her cheek. She gasped, rubbing it off of her cheek.

"You bitch!" She laughed, her eyes wide.

"Can you idiots calm down." Spencer groaned.

After that summer, everything changed. My older brother, Spencer, went missing, and mom left. It was just Ray, dad, and I missing the glue of our family.

~present day

April 2nd, 7 am

Woke up freezing, slept warm