[𝟏𝟐] 𝐃𝐨𝐫𝐞𝐛𝐞𝐥

At the moment, I'm standing outside of Grace's house like a dumbass with flowers in my hand

At the moment, I'm standing outside of Grace's house like a dumbass with flowers in my hand. I think I'm overdoing it with the flowers but I have the feeling this is gonna have to be a helluva good apology. I even thought about getting chocolate and then laughed in my own face.

I don't know what's so difficult about this but it's becoming harder and harder to not go back home. I hate apologies. I should be apologizing to myself for putting myself in this situation.

I'm not gonna lie, Annie's words stuck with me, even in this movie. As much as I want to deny it, she was right, I do feel bad about what happened to my fucking dead sister. In a way, I guess I was trying to redeem myself through Gracie.

For once in my life, I fucking admitted I screwed up. Never thought that was going to happen.

The feeling of guilt was almost too much.

Me? Guilty? Never.

Apologies and I don't mix.

...unless I break mom's TV again.

I blow out a quick breath before pulling out a paper from my pocket

1) ring dorebel

2) give flowers

3) hug

4) RUN

Did I spell 'doorbell' wrong? And why exactly am I running?

Shoving the paper back into my pocket, I reach for the doorbell. Before I can ring the doorbell it swings open and I'm engulfed in a bone-crushing hug.

"Oh my lord, Grace, you've gotten so..." Mrs. Rieder trails off as she looks over my entire body. "Holy mother of God, you're not my daughter."

"Damn, I'm not?" The woman laughs, pushing the door open more.

"Come in, mini Grant." She winks. Her hand meets my back as she leads me into the living room. I may not look it but fuck I want to punch the woman. But I won't because I'm respectful like that.

"Hey, Ray." I wave at her and she does a doubletake when she sees me. She immediately stands, stomping over to me and pulling me away. As we pass the living room a call a 'hello' to Mr. Rieder.

She pulls me into their kitchen, her voice low as she says, "What the hell are you doing here? I told you not to let Grace come home."

I furrow my eyebrows. "She's not here?"

Ray gives me a quizzical look. "She's not with you?"

"No, I came to apologize to her." I shook my head. She narrows her eyes at me.

"You lost my sister?! What the fuck, Sam!" She screams. Mrs. Rieder comes into the kitchen.

"You know Grace?" She asks.

I nod. "We're like besties."

Ray snorts. "He's been bullying her since forever and now they're friends but now they're not becAUSE HE MADE HER MAD AGAIN."

"I'm sorry!" I put my hands up in surrender. "Wait, wait-"

"This is your fault, you told me not to tell her your mom was home!" I say.

"You agreed!" She defends herself. "And you said you'd do anything-"

"Yeah? Well, I take it back because now she's mad at me and I don't know where she went!"

"I hate you s-"

"Shut up!" Her mother yells, cutting Ray off. We both instantly shut up as Mrs. Rieder turns to me. "Where's my daughter?"

"I don't know! She got mad at me and left!" She gives me a cold stare and I reach into my pocket for my phone and dialing number.

"Hello?" she pauses and I just know she's about to look at the caller ID and hang up. "Oh hell no."

"Wait! Please don't hang up, let me explain, Gracie. I didn't mean to-"

"But you did, Samuel."

"Oh come on, man. You're gonna pull the Samuel card right now?"

"Uhm, yES! You deserve it for not telling me my fucking mom was home!" Before I can answer, her mom does.

"Watch your mouth, Gracelyn!" Her mom slaps her hand over her mouth. I snort. Her name's Gracelyn? And she used to makes fun of MY name.

"Your names Gracelyn? I like Grace better, it suits you a lot better."

I can hear her smile in her voice when she says, "Thank you, I think Sam suits you better than Samuel Lesley."

"I TOLD YOU THAT IN SECRET, YOU JUST OUTED ME, BRO."

Ray rolls her eyes, plugging her ears with her fingers and walking out of the kitchen.

"I'll give you guys a moment." Mrs. Rieder smils before leaving the kitchen. I take a seat on their island counter.

Suddenly my eyes start to sting.

I hate myself for knowing I hurt her and knowing I was going to do it and not stopping myself. I hated myself because I knew what Annie said was right. I was so cought up with Maddie's stuff, I passed it onto Grace and acted like I wanted her, treating her like a... problem.

But that was in the beginning. I know for a fact now that she's my everything. And that's a big thing to say especially at out age. I don't know if I'm misusing the word and we won't last but I hope I'm right and she's going to be at my side for the rest of my life.

"I'm sorry." I croak. "I never wanted to hurt you, Gracie."

I run my hand through my hair before sniffling. "I thought I was doing the right thing, I thought it was my job to protect you from the bad stuff and I'm sorry. You were starting to get smiley again and I didn't want it to go away."

After a moment she speaks up, her voice soft and low. "Are you crying?"

I pull the phone from my ear and press the facetime button, I think my bitch ass just wants attention but either way I'm apologizing. It's a win-win, she gets an apology and I get attention.

"No, don't cry." She frowns. She looks like she's ready to pop through the screen and tackle me into a hug. "I'm sorry too, I was overreacting. It wasn't that big of a deal."

"Yes, it was. I should've told you, I had no right hiding it from you when it didn't involve me in the first place."

"Your heart was in the right place." She pauses, scratching the back of her neck. "I hope."

I chuckle, wiping my nose. "Are you going to come home?"

She tenses momentarily, looking over her shoulder. "Sure. I'll see you soon. And thank you for not leaving me hanging." She smiles, puckering her lips and kissing the camera before hanging up.

I shove my phone into my pocket, holding my face in my hands. Footsteps near then come to an abrupt stop.

"Sam?" A voice whispers incredulously.

When I look up, I swear I'm seeing things. I don't know if I'm going crazy or maybe I am seeing this right but...

That's my fucking dead sister.