[𝟐𝟐] ¿𝐀𝐫𝐞 𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐩𝐨𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐓𝐨 𝐌𝐞?

By the time it starts getting dark, Sam still isn't here

By the time it starts getting dark, Sam still isn't here. I feel stupid waiting for him. I must look like a dork sitting all by myself.

He'll be here soon, he's just running late.

After about thirty more minutes, the grass beside me rustles and I turn to find Sam sitting next to me. He's wearing the sneakers I bought him. The Nike symbol on the sides are a light blue that match my dress and the lettering on his shirt. I might've bought us matching shoes...

"You took a while," I say, popping a grape into my mouth.

"Yeah, I had to go home real quick. I texted you." He tells me. I look down and press my phone unlocked. It's dead.

"It died." I stand as he sits beside me. He's about to get up when I stop him. "You're not allowed to talk during my speech."

He chuckles, crossing his legs and grabbing a bag of fruit snacks from the little basket I brought. Fruit snacks, even at age seventeen, are Sam's absolute favorite. For whatever reason, they're mine too. Too bad this man child's going to eat them all.

I clear my throat, ready to speak but he stops me, eying the guitar that was next to my spot on the blanket. "Shut up," I tell him before he can even ask anything.

Clearing my throat once more, I-

I give up, my legs hurt. I make my way back to Sam and take a seat, earning a weird look from him.

"You good?"

"No, I'm nervous," I confess, wiping my palms on my sweater. He places his hand over mine and just when he's going to speak, my heart fucking explodes. I can't take it anymore.

Here he is, where he has been since... always. He's always saying nice things, he always talks about me, and nothing but nice things come out. When he says these things in front of me, I get blushy and don't say anything but thank you. And I think I finally realized that wasn't fair.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry, I never took the time to do things for you. You've been so helpful and loving and nothing but supportive. I haven't thanked you once for having my back. Or for waiting and being patient. I love that about you, you have so much patience. You waited when you should've gone on with your life and no one's ever done that for me. I've always been left behind or let myself get behind and nobody ever came back for me."

He sniffles, blinking rapidly. I chuckle at the tear the falls from his eye. "But you always waited, you always came back for me, always loved me. Even though you had a weird way of showing it, you let me know that I'd never be alone because your punk ass would be there to tease me 'til I die."

He laughs at this, brushing the tear that runs down my cheek with his thumb. "You- just-" I pause, breaking into a half sob half-laugh. "God, Sam, you're my everything. And that's saying something. I want you to know that even when we're nowhere close to each other, I'll always have your back. And I seriously hope your heart."