chapter 3: potions

your pov

        I woke up the next morning in the Gryffindor dorm. As I sat up stretching my arms, my memory of what happened during he sorting ceremony came rushing back.

        You're different.

       The sorting hat had the same opinion as my mother, and i supposed it was right. There's no way I'd be sitting in Gryffindor house right now if I wasn't. It's just.. Strange. I had never really though of myself that way. I was always just me. Though, I can't help but feel this isn't a bad thing. I don't know why, but my gut feels good about being in Gryffindor. I don't feel out of place..

      I turned to the bed next to me, Hermione sitting there, already awake and reading a thick book. She looked over at me.

     "(Y/n), you're awake. Do you want to come down to breakfast with me?" She asked, shutting the book.

     "Oh sure. I'll meet you in the common room once I'm ready." I replied. She smiled and got up, walking down the stairs to the common room.

──────✧❅✦❅✧──────

"That has to be the best breakfast I've ever had." Hermione exclaimed as we headed down the hall to our first class, transfiguration.

"By far. It's a shame Harry and Ron missed it. I wonder where they were." I added as we walked into the classroom. A few students were already seated, but there was no teacher in sight. Only a cat with odd markings sat on the desk. It's tail twitching back and forth as it surveyed the room.

        I leaned over to hermione as we took our seats. "How much do you wanna bet that cat is Professor Mcgonagall?"

        "What? Why on earth do you think that's her?" Hermione replied, taken aback.

         "Because," I chuckled, "there's no way she would be late to her own class. It's probably a form of transfiguration."

       "I doubt it." Hermione said.

       "One Galleon it is the Professor." I wagered.

     "You're on." Hermione responded. Suddenly the door flew open, Harry and Ron sprinted into the classroom, taking seats just in front of Hermione and I.

"whew, we made it. can you imagine the look on mcgonagalls face if we were late?" ron says to harry. just then, the cat jumps of the desk and transforms into professor mcgonagall.

"see! i told you!" i whisper to hermione. she just rolls her eyes at me.

ron looks at mcgonagall in amazement. "that was bloody brilliant." he says.

"Thank you for that assessment, Mr. Weasley. Perhaps if I were to transfigure Mr. Potter and yourself into a pocketwatch, one of you might be on time." mcgonagall replies.

"we got lost." harry says.

"then perhaps a map? i trust you don't need one to find your seats." she says to harry before walking off. i try not to laugh and harry looks at me, smiling.

~time skip again~

as we walk into potions, i take a seat next to harry. snape walls in and looks around the classroom.

"There will be no foolish wand waving or silly incantations in this class. As such, I don't expect many of you to appreciate the subtle science and exact art that is potion making. However, for those select few... who possess the predisposition, I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses. I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory and even put a stopper... in death," snapes eyes fall on harry, who isn't paying attention.

"Then again, maybe some of you have come to Hogwarts in possession of abilities so formidable that you feel confidant enough to not...pay... attention," i elbow harry in the ribs and he finally looks up.

"Mr. Potter. Our...new...celebrity. Tell me, what would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood? You don't know? Well, let's try again. Where, Mr. Potter, would you look if I asked you to find me a bezoar?"

harry looks up at snape. "i don't know, sir."

"And what is the difference between monkshood and wolfbane?" snape says.

"I don't know, sir." harry replies.

"Pity. Clearly, fame isn't everything... is it, Mr. Potter?" snape walks away. i start to feel a bit angry.

"how is he supposed to know that? harry only found out he was a wizard a few days ago, and it's only our first year at hogwarts! when would he have had time to learn all of that professor?" i say to snape. he turns around to face me.

"ten points from gryffindor." he says before continuing the lesson. i slump down in my seat.

"hey, thanks for sticking up for me." harry whispers to me.

"of course, what are friends for?" i answer with a smile. out of the corner of my eye i see a certain blonde wizard staring at me.