chapter 3: writing on the wall

your pov

i'm in my quidditch uniform, walking down the corridor with the rest of the gryffindor quidditch team.

"I spent the summer devising a whole new Quidditch program. We are going to train earlier, harder, and longer." wood tells us. as we reach the pitch, he glances to his left, the rest of the team follows his gaze. "What...? I don't believe it." he says. we step out into the courtyard, and come across the Slytherin Quidditch team, also dressed for Quidditch, as Ron and Hermione are sitting nearby; Oliver directs his attention to the team's captain, Marcus Flint.

"Where do you think you're going, Flint?" wood asks him.

"Quidditch practice." he replies. oliver looks like he's about to kill him.

"I booked the pitch for Gryffindor today." he says.

"Easy, Wood. I've got a note." flint says as he holds out a rolled up scroll; Wood takes it and opens it. i see ron and hermione walk over to us.

"'I, Professor Severus Snape, do hereby give the Slytherin team permission to practice today, owing to the need to train their new Seeker.'" oliver reads. i look over at the team, but i don't see anyone new. wood looks up from the parchment.

"You've got a new Seeker, who?" wood asks. Marcus steps aside, and Draco steps out towards the Gryffindor team members. no way. Harry looks amazed.

"Malfoy?" i ask. draco looks at me smugly.

"That's right. And that's not all that's new this year." draco brags as he puts his broom at his side; we all examine the brooms Draco and the rest of the Slytherin team are holding. holy crap.

"Those are Nimbus 2001s. How did you get those?" ron asks in disbelief.

"A gift from Draco's father." marcus says.

"You see, Weasley, unlike some, my father can afford the best." draco says. i want to slap him, but hermione says something before i can.

"At least no one on the Gryffindor team had to buy their way in. They got in on pure talent." hermione says, holding her head high. Draco glares at her in annoyance as he takes a few steps and stops only at arms length in front of her.

"No one asked your opinion, you filthy little Mudblood." draco snarls. he did not. Hermione glares at him with a mixture of hate and hurt as Draco sneers. ron marches right up to draco.

"You'll pay for that one, Malfoy!" ron takes out his wand and aims it at Draco. "Eat slugs!" Unfortunately, Ron's spell backfires, blasting him off backwards and onto the ground. Harry, Hermione and i immediately rush to his side.

"You okay, Ron? Say something!" i say, worried. Ron opens his mouth as if to say something, but instead he spits out a slug. colin Creevey starts taking pictures of Ron. where did he even come from?!

"Wow! Can you turn him around, Harry?" colin says.

"No, Colin! Get out of the way." harry says. as we help Ron to his feet.

"Let's take him to Hagrid," i say as Ron regurgitates another slug. "He'll know what to do." The four of us rush off to Hagrid's while the Slytherins laugh. once we arrive, hagrid hands ron a bucket for his slugs and we explain what happened to him.

"Wo, this calls for a specialist's equipment. Nothin' to do but wait'll it stops, I'm afraid." hagrid says. ron spits out another slug.

"Ah! Oh... Okay." harry replies.

"Better out than in. Who's Ron tryin' to curse, anyway?" hagrid asks.

"Malfoy. He called Hermione, ...um, well, I don't- I don't know exactly what it means." harry says.