chapter 9: christmas gift

your pov

i'm walking along a path with ron harry hermione, and hagrid. they're filling me and hagrid in on snape's actions at the quidditch match. while i can't ignore the evidence, something isn't adding up...

"Nonsense! Why would Snape put a curse on Harry's broom?" hagrid says.

"yeah, something about this seems off." i add.

"Who knows? Why was he trying to get past that three-headed dog on Halloween?" harry replies. hagrid turns to him suspiciously.

"Who told you 'bout Fluffy?" he says.

"Fluffy?" ron says, almost laughing.

"That thing has a name?" hermione says.

"Well, of course he's got a name. He's mine. I bought him off an Irish feller I met down at the pub last year. Then I lent him to Dumbledore to guard the.." hagrid starts to say.

"yes?" harry says eagerly.

hagrid looks guilty. "Shouldn't have said that. No more questions! Don't ask any more questions. That's top secret, that is." he says.

"But, Hagrid, whatever Fluffy's guarding, Snape's trying to steal it." harry insists.

"but Professor Snape is a Hogwarts teacher." i say, i'm still feeling a little skeptical about this.

"Hogwarts teacher or not, I know a spell when I see one. I've read all about them. You've got to keep eye contact, and Snape wasn't blinking." hermione says.

"Exactly." harry says. Hagrid sighs.

"Now, you listen to me, all four of you. You're meddling in things that ought not to be meddled in. It's dangerous. What that dog is guarding is strictly between Dumbledore and Nicholas Flamel." he says.

"Nicholas Flamel?" harry asks.

"I shouldn't said that. I should not have said that." hager's mumbles. he then walks off.

"Nicholas flamel." harry says, turning to us. "who's nicholas flamel?"

hermione shakes her head.

"i don't know." i say. even if something doesn't feel quite right, i can't ignore the facts. and right now, it looks a lot like snape is the one trying to steal whatever fluffy is guarding.

~time skip~

it's finally christmas! i'll be spending it at hogwarts, since my father is going away. he won't tell me where though.. i'm sitting in the great hall, watching ron and harry play wizards chess. i look up to watch Flitwick use his wand to put ornaments on the tree. then i see Hermione walk into the Great Hall with her luggage.

"hi hermione!" i smile at her.

"hello (y/n)." she replies, watching as Ron's queen goes over to Harry's knight and whacks the knight with her chair. Ron grins.

"That's totally barbaric!" hermione says, looking shocked.

"That's wizard's chess," ron says, turning to Hermione. "I see you've packed."

"See you two haven't." she says to ron and i.

"Change of plans, my parents decided to go to Romania to visit my brother Charlie. He's studying dragons there." ron says.

"and my father decided to go away last minute, so i'm stuck here as well." i add.

"Good, you can help Harry, then. He's going to go and look in the library for information on Nicholas Flamel." hermione says.