chapter 6: pretty-boy

your pov

i'm sitting the great hall, eating breakfast with harry, ron, and hermione at the gryffindor table.

"hi harry." i look up from my plate and see the patil twins walk past us, but harry isn't looking at them. i follow his gaze to the ravenclaw table, he's looking at cho.. When she looks back, he spills the drink from his mouth, and they laugh at him. why does harry even like her? suddenly, hermione shoves her copy of the daily prophet in my face.

"Look at this! I can't believe it, she's done it again." i pick up the article and notice a picture of harry and i hugging in the tent.

"is that me?" i ask hermione. she nods her head.

"just read it." she tells me. i pick up the paper and read the article out loud.

"'Miss (l/n), a plain but ambitious girl seems to be developing a taste for famous wizards. Her latest prey sources report is none other than the hogwarts heartthrob cedric diggory. No word yet on how Harry Potter's taking this latest emotional blow.'" i shake my head. this is ridiculous, i'm not 'developing a taste for famous wizards'. then, a young boy walks up holding a package.

"Parcel for you Mr Weasley." he says, handing ron the package.

"Thank you Nigel." ron replies, but the boy jsut stands there, gazing at Harry.

"Not now Nigel. Later. Go on." ron tells him, noticing him lingering. after a moment, the boy leaves. we all look at ron questioningly.

"i told him I'd get him Harry's autograph," ron says, opening the package. hermione sighs, shaking her head, and i try not to laugh. "Oh look mum's sent me something," ron takes what looks a lot like an old rug out of the box. he stand up, holding it against him. "Mum sent me a dress??" a few of the other gryffindors laugh.

"Well it does match your eyes. Is there a bonnet?" harry says, picking something lacey up out of the box.

"nose down harry," ron says with a smile, walking over to ginny.

"Ginny these must be for you." he says, handing whatever it is to her.

"I'm not wearing that, it's ghastly." ginny says in disgust. then, Hermione laughs.

"What are you on about?" ron says, turning back to hermione.

"They're not for Ginny they're for you! Dress robes." hermione explains.

"Dress robes? for what?" ron asks. she shrugs.

"maybe something to do with tournament." i say as ron sits back down, looking annoyed.

~time skip~

"what does mcgonagall want us for?" i ask ron and harry as hermione and i catch up to them. we usually have a free period, but today all the 4th year students and above are supposed to meet with their head of house in their classrooms.

"beats me." ron replies as we enter the transfiguration classroom. all the desks are gone, there's only chairs on either side of the room and a large turntable.

"girls on the left! boys on the right!" mcgonagall says, ushering us to our chairs, i sit down next to hermione. now i'm really confused. once everyone has arrived, mcgonagall stands in the middle of the room, getting everyone's attention.

"The yule ball has been a tradition of the tri-wizard tournament since its inception. on Christmas eve night we and our guests gather in the great hall for well mannered frivolity. As representatives of the host school I expect each and every one of you to put your best foot forward, and I mean this literally because the yule ball is first and foremost... a dance." hermione turns to me excitedly.