chapter 10: the second task

your pov

after the teachers leave the transfiguration classroom, i'm sitting down, trying to think of the best way to approach ron. i'm trying not to worry about feelings, i just want him to talk to me again.

i stand up, walking over to ron and sitting down in the chair next to him. i put my hands on the desk and stare at him. he glances over at me.

"what do you want?" he says. i'm hurt a little at his hostile tone, but at least he's talking to me.

"i-i want to talk about.. it." i say, realizing i have no idea what it is i'm going to say.

"what is there to talk about? you obviously don't have feelings for me." he says, his face turning pink as he looks down.

"um.. i.. i don't know," i reply. i sound like an idiot. ron glances at me again and i take a deep breath. "look. all i do know is that i want my best friend back. can we please just go back to the way it was?"

"how can we, with you.. knowing what you know and all.." he says, looking uncomfortable.

"well we can't go back and fix that. all we can do is move forward," he looks a little apprehensive. "cmon, please? i miss you."

he stops for second, like he's thinking, but then looks directly at me for the first time in weeks. yes!

"alright. i'll admit potions isn't as fun without you ruining everything we brew somehow." he says, smirking. i laugh, relieved.

"bet your marks are a lot better though." i joke.

"don't make me change my mind." he says, and we both start laughing. i missed this. i turn around, looking for hermione, to see if she heard, and i see her standing in the corner looking sort of sad. then she notices me and perks up, smiling and giving me thumbs up. that was weird.

a short while later, i'm woken up by someone gently shaking me. i hadn't even realized i fell asleep, the last thing i remember is talking with ron and hermione. i open my eyes and see ron looking down at me.

"hey, wake up. theyre going to back soon." he says. i look over and realize i'm leaning on his shoulder. i quickly sit up, embarrassed. did i seriously fall asleep on him?!

"oh! sorry.." i say, my face burning. he looks down.

"it's alright. i would've woken you up but i figured you needed to rest, the task is in a few hours." he says. oh wow, i forgot about that..

"look who decided to wake up." i turn around and see hermione walking over to us.

"where were you?" i ask as she sits down across from me.

"looking at mcgonagall's personal library. she has some really interesting books." she responds. i smile, that sounds like 'mione. suddenly, the doors open and in walks mcgonagall, dumbledore, karkaroff, and madam maxime.

"i hope you all managed to get some rest. we have a busy day today." mcgonagall says, opening the windows. i look over and see fleurs little sister sitting by the wall. i forgot she was here, i feel kind of bad.

"minerva is going to explain to you exactly what is going to happen, and then we will cast the spell." dumbledore says.

"you are going to be put in what is essentially a coma. you will not be aware of what is going on, it will be as if you are asleep. you will be tied to the bottoms of the lake, and your champion will have an hour to rescue you. if they fail to do so, rest assured we will retrieve you immediately. any questions?" she explains. im a little worried. there seems to be a lot that could go wrong, but i trust dumbledore.