chapter 8: time turner

your pov

as hermione puts her necklace around us, she takes the hourglass pendant, and spins it three times. i'm still confused.

"hermione-" i start to say, but suddenly the room around us changes. people walk in and out, seemingly unable to see us, and the room gets brighter as if we're.. going back in time? but that's impossible.. suddenly everything stop, and hermione quickly puts her necklace away, looking around.

"What just happened? Where's Ron?" harry asks her, but hermione ignores him.

"7:30. Where were we at 7:30?" she asks.

"uh. I don't know. Going to Hagrid's?" i say, thinking back. at least i think that's where we were.

"Come on. And we can't be seen." hermione says, taking off down the hallway. harry and i look at each other, and i can tell he's just as confused as i am. we run after her, following her through the courtyard and over the bridge.

"Hermione!" i yell, but she keeps going.

"Hermione! Hermione, wait. Hermione, will you please tell us what it is we're doing?" harry asks, and she suddenly stops, peering around the corner. i follow her gaze and see.. us? except it's exactly what was happening earlier..

"You foul, loathsome, evil little cockroach!" i hear hermione from 3 hours ago yell at draco.

"That's us." harry says.

"Hermione, no! He's not worth it." says ron from 3 hours ago.

"This is crazy. would you mind explaining now hermione?" i ask. she turns to us, pulling out her necklace from earlier.

"This is a Time-Turner. McGonagall gave it to me first term. This is how I've been getting to my lessons all year." hermione answers.

"You mean we've gone back in time?" harry asks.

"Yes," hermione replies. this is insane. "Dumbledore obviously wanted us to return to this moment. Clearly, something happened he wants us to change." she turns back to past us, just in time to see herself punch draco. i smile, i hope draco never lives that down.

"Good punch." harry says. hermione smiles.

"Thanks." she says. then malfoy and his goons turn around, heading to where we're standing.

"Malfoy's coming." i say and we jump through the window onto the grass, peering around at our past selves.

"yes hermione!" i hear myself from 3 hours ago say.

"That felt good." past hermione says.

"Not good, brilliant." past ron adds.

"Come on. We should be at Hagrid's." past harry says, and they all walk down the hill, toward hagrid's hut. we slowly follow them, trying to make sure we aren't seen. we stop at the rock, looking down at the hut. my eyes fall on buckbeak, looking handsome as ever.

"Look. Buckbeak's still alive." i say happily.

"Of course. Remember what Dumbledore said If we succeed, more than one innocent life could be spared," hermione says, carefully heading down the hill. "Let's go." harry and i follow her, and when we reach hagrid's we hide behind the giant pumpkins. we peer over top of them, and see fudge, the executioner, dumbledore, and my father.

"Here they come. we better hurry." harry says, standing up, but hermione grabs his arm.

"Fudge has to see Buckbeak before we steal him. Otherwise, he'll think Hagrid set him free." she tells him. harry reluctantly sits back down and we look through hagrid's hut window.