chapter 11: not what i expected

hey hotties! surprise, i'm not dead! i'm so sorry for not updating, i've been feeling so unmotivated to write this but i'll try my best to continue it. i appreciate all of you and remember you are loved! <3 ok, enjoy the chapter :)

your pov

"oh.. hello neville." i mumble, not really in the mood to talk to him right now.

"what's wrong? and don't say nothing, i can tell you're upset." neville replies.

"it's just.. it's stupid, you wouldn't really care to hear it." i say. he frowns.

"y/n, we're friends, aren't we?" he says.

"uh, of course." i reply, unsure of why he would even ask that.

"then that means i care about what's making you upset. it's my responsibility," he says, smiling a little. aw. "come on, why don't we sit down and you tell me what's bothering you?" he puts down his plant and sits down on the floor, leaning against the wall, gesturing for me to do the same. i slowly sit down, taking a deep breath and filling him on on ron's feelings for me, my confusion, and hermione's hidden crush. when i'm done he stares at me, like he doesn't know what to say.

"wow," he finally says. "so... do you have feelings for ron or not?" he asks. i quickly look at the ground.

"um, that's a good question. i thought i didn't, but then things changed, and.. i don't know." i respond.

"right.. and hermione fancies him.. which complicates things even further.." neville says.

"you don't say?" i retort, immediately regretting it. he is just trying to help..

"sorry. it's just all a little confusing," he responds. "but.. i think if you really liked ron, you wouldn't be questioning it. when it comes to things like that, i think you just know."

he has a point.. but i can't deny that i feel something.

"but if you do like him, you shouldn't feel guilty," neville continues. "after all, that's not something that you can control. i think the best thing to do is talk to hermione about what you heard, and how you feel." we sit in silence for a moment.

"wow neville. that's actually some really good advice." i smile, looking up at him. he instantly blushes bright red.

"well, i-i mean that's just what i would do.. you don't have to.." he says, but my minds made up. i'm going to talk to hermione. i may not know what i feel, but i know she would understand, she is my best friend after all.

"thank you neville!" i exclaim, kissing him on the cheek before running off.

he stays there on the floor for a moment, burning bright red and touching his cheek where my lips had been a moment before.

——————

it's been a few days since i overheard that conversation, and i can't find hermione anywhere. it's like she's avoiding me. its almost annoying, i just want to talk about things.. at least we have class tomorrow, so she won't be able to avoid me anymore.

suddenly, harry comes up from behind me.

"hey y/n. are you busy?" he asks. i shake my head.

"well, i'm heading down to hagrid's if you want to come. i think ron and hermione are already there." he says.

"of course!" i reply, he smiles as we make our way to hagrid's, although i won't be able to talk to hermione about you-know-what with all of them there..

"y/n? are you ok?" harry asks, and i realize i've been kind of zoned out.

"yeah, i was just thinking."  i say as we cross over the bridge, slightly embarrassed.