chapter 8: quidditch match

your pov

i'm sitting in the great hall on the morning of the first quidditch match of the season. while i'm excited, i'm also dreading it. every other chaser is at least a 4th year, what if i'm not good enough.. i'm snapped back to reality by ron waving a piece of toast in my face.

"go on. take a bit of toast." ron says. i look over at harry and see that he isn't eating either.

"come on you two. you need your strength for today." hermione says, sounding concerned.

"i'm not hungry." harry says. snape suddenly appears at our table.

"Good luck today, Potter, (l/n). Then again, now that you've proven yourself against a troll, a little game of Quidditch should be easy work...even if it is against Slytherin." snape says, walking off with a limp. harry notices it too.

"That explains the blood." he says.

"you saw that too?" i say to him.

"Blood?" hermione asks.

"Listen, last night, I'm guessing Snape let the troll in as a diversion so he could try and get past that 3 headed dog. But, he got himself bitten, that's why he's limping." harry says.

"but why would anyone go near that dog?" hermione says.

"The day I was at Gringotts, Hagrid took something out of one of the vaults. He said it was Hogwarts' business, very secret." harry says.

"So you're saying..." hermione starts to say.

"That's what the dog's guarding. That's what Snape wants." harry finish's. i nod my head in agreement, but something about this seems off. although snape isn't the nicest, i don't believe he would want to hurt anyone, and he seems to close to dumbledore to steal from him. all the sudden hedwig and one of the hogwarts owls fly in, carrying large, long parcels. they drop them off in front of harry and i.

"bit early for mail, isn't it?" hermione says. harry looks confused. to be honest, i am too.

"But I-I never get mail." he says.

"open them!" ron says excitedly. we tear open our parcels to reveal some of the nicest looking broomsticks i've ever seen.

"they're broomsticks!" i exclaim.

ron looks at them in awe. "Those arent just any broomsticks, (y/n), they're Nimbus 2000's!" while i'm incredibly grateful, i don't have the slightest idea where they came from.

"but who...?" harry asks, then he notices professor mcgonagall smiling at us. we both nod.

~time skip~

i march with the rest of the gryffindor quidditch team through one of the quidditch towers, we suddenly stop at a closed double door. i'm standing next to wood and harry.

"are you two scared?" wood asks.

"A little." i answer. that was a lie. i'm not sure if i've ever been this scared in my life.

"That's all right. oliver says, trying to comfort us. "I felt the same way before my first game."

"What happened?" harry asks.

"Er, I don't really remember. I took a bludger to the head 2 minutes in. Woke up in the hospital a week later." oliver replies. harry gulps. well that made me feel better. just then the doors open. we mount our brooms and fly out onto the pitch. i can hear the commentator, lee.

"Hello, and welcome to Hogwarts' first Quidditch game of the season! Today's game Slytherin versus Gryffindor!!!" he yells. we take our positions on the field, mine is next to the other chasers. harry flies higher.

"now, i want a nice clean game... from all of you." hooch says, looking at the slytherin team. she kicks the trunk and the bludgers fly out, then the snitch, finally the quaffle. angelina johnson grabs the ball first, zooms past the Slytherins towards their goal, and throws the ball, and scores.

"Angelina Johnson scores! 10 points for Gryffindor!" lee yells. i see the slytherin captain with the quaffle. i fly towards him, but he dodges me. i turn around and see wood whack the ball away from the goal, straight towards me! i fly up and just barely grab it, my heart pounds as i zoom past the slytherin players, throw the ball and... score!!

" another 10 points to gryffindor!" lee yells. katie bell high fives me, and i can see wood cheering, i blush a little but quickly get my mind back on the game. i see flint grab the bat from one of the beaters, hitting a bludger right at wood.

"wood look out-" i yell, but it's too late. It hits Oliver directly in the stomach and he plummets to the ground, knocked out. i want to go to his side and see if he's ok, but i still have a game to play. without wood, the slytherins score. i grab the quaffle from flint, and pass it to angelina. but then the slytherin beaters box her in and she falls into one of the towers. this isn't good. then i hear a lot of confusion from the stands. i look up to see harry's broom turning, trying to throw him off. it must be a hex or something. i fly over to him, ready to catch him if he falls, then it suddenly stops.

"are you ok harry?" i yell to him.

"yeah!" he answers. "you go score again!" i smile and fly back down. katie throws me the quaffle but flint flies right into me, almost knocking me off my broom, and takes it. i try to regain my balance, and something near the ground catches my eye. harry is standing on his broom.. reaching for something.. he topples off his broom, tumbling on the ground. He gets up and lurches. the snitch pops out of his mouth into his hands. yes!

"He's got the Snitch! Harry Potter receives 150 points for catching the Snitch!" lee yells. hooch flies up, blowing her whistle.

"gryffindor win!" cheers erupt from the stands as katie, the weasley twins and i fly down to harry and hug him. we cheer. in this exact moment, i felt happier than i ever have before.