chapter 16: the house cup

your pov

i'm standing on a stairwell balcony with hermione and ron, talking. suddenly something catches my eye. i turn to see harry there with his arm still bandaged. i feel so happy to see him! it's been weeks since i'd seen him standing up.

"all right there, ron?" harry yells up at us, smiling.

"All right. You?" ron replies. Harry shrugs.

"all right. Hermione?" he says.

"Never better." hermione smiles. harry turns to me.

"(y/n)?" he asks.

"a lot better now." i say, smiling. harry smiles back at me.

~time skip~

We walk into the Great Hall, full of students eating and talking with each other. There are green and silver banners with the Slytherin symbol above our heads, already indicating the house with the most points. Dumbledore gives a slight nod to professor McGonagall, who then clinks her spoon to her glass, to ask attention from the students. The crowd falls silent. Dumbledore stands up and speaks with his magically magnified voice.

"Another year, gone! And now, as I understand it, the house cup needs awarded and the points stand thus. In fourth place: Gryffindor, with 262 points! In third place: Hufflepuff, with 352 points! Second: Ravenclaw, with 426 points! And in first place, with 472 points: Slytherin house!" A loud roar rises from the Slytherin table, as students stand up and clap for their selves. Malfoy gives a mean look to the Gryffindor table, where Harry, Ron and Hermione and i look slightly depressed. can malfoy be more of an arse?

"Yes, well done Slytherin, well done Slytherin. However, recent events must be taken into account and I have a few last minute points to award. First, to Miss Hermione Granger, for the cool use of intellect while others were in grave peril: fifty points!" Hermione looks surprised, while the other Gryffindor students applaud her. Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle look as if they don't like what's happening. Hermione looks at Hagrid, who looks back to her with a proud smile.

"Second, to Mr Ronald Weasley, for the best played game of chess that Hogwarts has seen these many years: fifty points!" Ron looks even more surprised than Hermione did and the Gryffindor table is applauding even louder.

"third, to miss (y/n) (l/n), for following her heart no matter the situation, and keeping a cool head in the midst of danger: 50 points!" The Gryffindors cheer again, this time even louder than before.  i smile, trying not to blush. i'm not used to all the attention. i look over to the slitherin table. Malfoys confident smirk has been wiped clean off his face. i smile even wider.

"and fourth, to mister Harry Potter, for pure love and outstanding courage, I award Gryffindor house: sixty points!" Harry sees a proud, smiling professor McGonagall at the teacher's table. Hermione, who has done some quick math, whispers to us.

"We're tied with Slytherin!" she whispers excitedly. yes! Now, the Gryffindors look really hopeful, as Dumbledore hasn't finished talking yet.

"And finally: it takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to your enemies, but a great deal more to stand up to your friends. I award ten points to Neville Longbottom!" Neville can't believe what he just heard and the Gryffindors that heard Hermione's whisper are cheering the loudest. Malfoy looks quite uncertain now.

"Assuming that my calculations are correct, I believe that a change of decoration is in order!" dumbledore motions his hands towards the Slytherin banners, where they flap heavily, until the banners have changed completely to red and gold with the Gryffindor symbol]

"Gryffindor wins the House Cup!" he exclaims. The Great Hall exploded with roars and applause, not only from the Gryffindors, but also from the Ravenclaws and the Hufflepuffs, because they are glad that, for the first time in seven years, someone else than Slytherin has won the House Cup. Hagrid can't help himself to also cheer, and all students except the Slytherins throw their hats in the air. i laugh while Malfoy angrily throws his on the table in defeat. i hug just about everyone i can reach, including a tomato red neville. my voice is hoarse from all the cheering, but i wouldn't trade this feeling for anything in the world.

~time skip again~

harry's pov

i'm at The outdoor train station. Students are walking around, getting in the train.

"Come on now, hurry up. You'll be late. Train's leaving. Go on. Go on. Come on. Hurry up." hagrid says to the students.

i hand Hedwig to a train man, and walks to an open door of the train with Hermione. she waves to Hagrid, who waves back. Hermione gets in the train.

"Come on, Harry." she says.

"One minute." i tell her, He walking over to hagrid."

"Thought you were leaving without saying good-bye, didja?" hagrid says to me, smiling. he takes a red album out of his coat pocket and hands it to me. "This is for you."

i opens the album and see a picture, moving, of me as a baby with my parents. They are all smiling and waving. i turn the page and see a picture of hermione, ron and (y/n) waving... this is brilliant. i smile.

"Thanks, Hagrid." i say, Shaking his hand, then hugging him tightly.

"Oh. Go on...on with you." hagrid says to me. i let go.

"Oh, listen, Harry, if that dolt of a cousin of yours, Dudley, gives you any grief, you could always, um, threaten him with a nice pair of ears to go with that tail of his." hagrid jokes.

"But Hagrid, we're not allowed to do magic away from Hogwarts. You know that." i tell him.

"I do. But your cousin don't, do he? Eh?" hagrid chuckles. "Off you go."

i  walk away, back to the train door where Hermione, Ron, and (y/n) are waiting.

your pov

harry finally joins us in the train car. he sits down next to me. i'm still sad, i can't believe i won't be seeing my best friends until next year.

"Feels strange to be going home, doesn't it?" i say.

"I'm not going home. Not really." harry replies.

The train whistles and we climb aboard. As the train starts to leave, i think about next year, and what adventures i might have with my new friends.

~END OF YEAR ONE~