chapter 7: petrified

your pov

i'm walking in the courtyard with harry, ron and hermione. harry's telling us about the diary he found in the bathroom last night, and how belonged to a tom riddle.. something about this just doesn't seem right.

"It was Hagrid. Hagrid opened the Chanter of Secrets fifty years ago." harry tells us. i stare at him in disbelief.

"It can't be Hagrid. It just can't be." i say.

"We don't even know this Tom Riddle. He sounds like a dirty, rotten snitch to me."  ron says.

"The monster had killed somebody, Ron. What would any of us have done?" harry says, and he has a point.

"Look. Hagrid's our friend. Why don't we just go and ask him about it?" hermione says. ron stares at her.

"That'll be a cheerful visit! 'Hello, Hagrid! Tell us, have you been setting anything mad and hairy loose in the castle lately?'" ron responds. then we hear a familiar voice behind us.

"Mad and hairy? You wouldn't be talking about me now, would ya?" hagrid says, smiling.

"No!" all of us say in unison. wow. that wasn't suspicious at all.

"W-what's that you've got, Hagrid?" harry says, trying to change the subject.

"Oh, It's a- Flesh-Eatin' Slug Repellent. For the Mandrakes, ya know. Now, accordin' to Professor Sprout, they've still got a bit o' growing up to do. But, once their acne's cleared up, we'll be able to chop 'em up and stew 'em, and then we'll get those people down at the hospital un-Petrified. In the meantime, though, you three had best be lookin' after yourselves. All right?" hagrid tells us. just then, neville comes running over toward us.

"Harry- I don't know who did it, but you'd better come! Come on!"  neville says. worried, we all run with neville to the gryffindor common room, and into the boys dormitory. hermione gasps as we see harry's stuff everywhere, his bed messed up... the only thing still in place was hedwig, sitting in her cage. harry runs over, searching through the mess as if he's looking for something.

"It had to be a Gryffindor. Nobody else knows our password- unless it wasn't a student." hermione says.

"Who ever it was, they must have been looking for something." i say. harry turns towards us.

"And they found it. Tom Riddle's diary is gone." he says.

~time skip~

i'm walking with the rest of the quidditch team to our game against hufflepuff. while i have other things on my mind, quidditch is always a good distraction.

"Alright, listen up. We play our game, Hufflepuff doesn't stand a chance. We're stronger, quicker and smarter." wood says.

"And not to mention, they're dead scared that Harry'll Petrify them if they fly anywhere near him." i laugh, then turn to harry. i'm not even sure he heard the weasleys, he seems deep in thought.

"harry?" i say to him. he looks up at me, but before i can say anything else, mcgonagall blocks our path to the quidditch pitch.

"Professor McGonagall?" wood says, confused.

"this match has been cancelled." mcgonagall says sadly. wood's jaw drops.

"We can't cancel Quidditch!" he exclaims. i'm pretty upset too, i had been looking forward to today's match for awhile.

"Silence, Wood. You and your teammates will go to Gryffindor Tower, now. Potter, (l/n), we will go find Mr. Weasley. There's something the both of you have to see." mcgonagall says. i wave goodbye to the team as harry and i follow mcgonagall. once we get ron from the gryffindor common room, mcgonagall leads us to the hospital wing.. ok, now i'm really worried.