chapter 12: the forbidden forest

your pov

The next night, Harry, Ron, Hermione, Draco and i are being led to Hagrid's hut by Filch. he creeps the hell out of me.

"A pity they let the old punishments die. There was a time detention would find you hanging by your thumbs in the dungeons. God, I miss the screaming," filch's says, to no one in particular. like i said, he creeps the hell out of me.

"You'll be serving detention with Hagrid tonight. He's got a little job to do inside the dark forest." filch tells us. Hagrid appears with a crossbow.

"A sorry lot this, Hagrid. Oh, good God, man, you're not still on about that bloody dragon, are you?" filch says to hagrid. hagrid sniffles.

"Norbert's gone. Dumbledore sent him off to Romania to live in a colony." hagrid tells us sadly. i feel bad, hagrid really cared for norbert.

" i'm sorry hagrid." i tell him, giving him a hug. he gives me a sad smile.

"thank you, (y/n)." he says to me.

"Well, this is good, isn't it? He'll be with his own kind." harry says to hagrid.

"Yeah, but what if he don't like Romania? What if the other dragons are mean to him? He's only a baby, after all." hagrid replies, sniffling again.

"Oh, for Gods sake, pull yourself together, man. You're going into the forest, after all. Got to have your wits about you." filch tells hagrid.

"The forest? I thought that was a joke! We can't go in there. Students aren't allowed. And there are werewolves!" draco says, sounding terrified. i roll my eyes.

"There's more than werewolves in those trees, lad. You can be sure of that. Nighty-night." filch says before He leaves to go back into the castle.

"Right. Let's go." hagrid says. we walk along a path to a tree. Hagrid stops, bends down and dips his fingers in a silver puddle. He pulls out his fingers and rubs them together. A silver trail smears with his fingers.

"Hagrid, what's that?" harry asks.

"What we're here for. See that? That's unicorn's blood, that is. I found one dead a few weeks ago. Now, this one's been injured bad by something. So, it's our job to find the poor beast. Ron, Hermione, you'll come with me. And Harry, (y/n), you'll go with Malfoy."hagrid says.

"Okay. Then I get Fang!" draco tells him.

"Fine." hagrid says. i walk over to draco.

"just so you know, fang's a bloody coward." i whisper to him. he looks even more scared.

Harry, Draco and i are walking through a part of the forest, with Fang leading. Draco has the lamp in his hand. my diamond ring glints in the light. draco keeps looking at it. odd.

"This is servant's stuff. you wait until-" draco starts to say.

"mY fAtHeR hEaRs AbOuT tHiS," i finish, mocking him. he gives me a shocked look. "honestly, draco, you sound like a big baby." harry snickers. draco turns away from me, but i catch a glimpse of a hurt look in his eye. he doesn't even try to make a comeback..

"If I didn't know better, Draco, I'd say you were scared." harry says. draco seems to bounce back at that.

"Scared, Potter?!" He scoffs, but suddenly we hear a howl. "Did you hear that?" draco asks, his voice quivering. "Come on, Fang." we approach a flat ground with gnarled roots all over. Fang stops, then growls.

"What is it, Fang?" i ask. Up ahead is a cloaked figure who is crouching over a dead unicorn, drinking its blood from its wound. The figure raises its head, silver blood dripping from its mouth. Harry gasps and grabs his scar, which seems to be hurting him. Draco screams and runs away with Fang. i'm frozen with fear. what the hell is that?!

"HELP!!!!!" draco yells, leaving Harry and i at the mercy of the figure who slides over the unicorn and rises. It advances towards us. that's it. we're done for. Suddenly, there is the sound of hoof-beats. A figure leaps over us and lands near the cloaked figure. It is a silver centaur. It rears, and the cloaked figure retreats, flying away.

"Harry Potter and friend, you must leave. You are known to many creatures here. The forest is not safe at this time," the centaur turns to harry. "Especially for you."

"But what was that thing you saved us from?" harry asks.

"A monstrous creature. It is a terrible crime to slay a unicorn. Drinking the blood of a unicorn will keep you alive even if you are an inch from death. But at a terrible price. You have slain something so pure that the moment the blood touches your lips, you will have a half-life. A cursed life." the centaur answers.

"But who would choose such a life?" i ask him. the centaur turns to me.

"Can you think of no one?" he replies.

"Do you mean to say...that that thing that killed the unicorn...that was drinking its blood...that was Voldemort?" i say. there's no way, voldemort is dead.. right?

"Do you know what is hidden in the school at this very moment?" the centaur says.

"The Philosopher's Stone." harry says. Fang suddenly barks and we look up to see Hagrid, Hermione, Ron and Draco appear. Hagrid has his crossbow ready, but lowers it when he sees the centaur.

"Harry! (y/n)!" hermione yells.

"Hello there, Firenze. I see you've met our young Mr. Potter and ms. (l/n)." hagrid says.

"Harry Potter, this is where I leave you. You're safe now. Good luck." firenze says to harry.

~time skip~

it is the next morning, and harry, ron, hermione and i are sitting by the fire in the common room, and harry's telling ron and hermione about what happened in the forbidden forest last night.. i'm sorta zoned out, but i'm trying to listen.. i just can't believe what happened..

" You mean You-Know-Who's out there, right now, in the forest?" ron asks.

"But he's weak. He's living off the unicorns. Don't you see? We had it wrong! Snape doesn't want the Stone for himself; he wants the Stone for Voldemort. With the Elixir of Life, Voldemort will be strong again. He'll... he'll come back." harry replies.

"But, if he comes back, you don't think he'll try to... kill you, do you?" ron says, looking a bit pale.

"I think if he'd had the chance, he might've tried to kill me tonight." harry says.

"And to think I've been worrying about my Potions final!" ron exclaims.

"Hang on a minute," hermione says. "We're forgetting one thing. Who's the one wizard Voldemort always feared? Dumbledore. As long as Dumbledore's around, Harry, you're safe. As long as Dumbledore's around, you can't be touched." she gives him a reassuring smile before standing up.

"i'm going to head to the great hall for breakfast. does anyone want to join me?" she asks. i shake my head.

"i'll come." ron says. harry glances at me.

"i have something i have to do first." harry says. hermione nods and her and ron leave. harry sits down next to me.

(y/n)? are you alright?" he asks me. i look up at him.

"yes, but.. i can't believe that we really were face to face with voldemort.. it doesn't seem real." i say to him. he nods.

"the first time i don't remember, but that.. my scar has never burned like that," harry replies. " (y/n), can i ask you something?" he says. i nod.

"why do you call voldemort by his name? no other witches or wizards do." he says.

"i just never saw the point in not saying it. it's just a name after all. i grew up being told not to, but i just can't see why i shouldn't. fear of a name only increases fear of the thing itself." i answer.

"that makes sense," harry says. "that's how i see it too." i smile.

"hey, how about we go join ron and hermione at breakfast?" i ask. harry nods, and we start making our way to the great hall.