chapter 4: caught in the middle

your pov

when we get back to the common room, everyone is talking excitedly. some people are asking how harry did it, others are angry because they think he cheated, but i'm just worried. i turn to ron and hermione to ask what they think, but ron is already rushing up to the dorms. oh, ok then.. i guess he's just tired..

"is ron ok?" i ask hermione. she shrugs, and we sit down on the common room couch. i'm not listening to the buzzing of the other gryffindors, i'm to scared for harry.

"do you think he did it?" hermione asks me.

"i.. i don't know. i can't believe he wouldn't tell us if he did." i say. harry has never lied to us, why would he start now?

"that's what i thought too. and he looked genuinely shocked when dumbledore called out his name." hermione says. i sigh, leaning forward and placing my head in my hands as i stare into the fire, deep in thought. i hardly notice how late it gets, or the common room slowly getting emptier. i finally sit up when hermione taps me lightly on the shoulder, telling me that she's off to bed. i would join her, but i wanted to wait for harry to come back. i'm the last one left in the common room now, but i'm hardly tired. i'm to anxious to see what happened to harry..

suddenly, the portrait hole swings open, and i look up and see harry, looking disheveled and sad. i run up to him, as he looks at me, surprised.

"(y/n).. you're still up." he says.

"well of course! i was so worried," i say, and he smiles weakly. "harry.. did you put your name in the goblet?" his smile vanishes and he looks up at me.

"no. i have no idea how my name got in there." he says, and i feel relieved.

"hermione and i didn't think you did. but they aren't letting you compete, right?" i ask.

"they are. i have to." he says, his voice hollow.

"what!? but it's against the rules, you're to young! the challenges are supposed to be.. well, challenging!" harry looks down, not saying anything. "harry, you know why they stopped the triwizard tournament all those years ago? the death toll was to high! i can't believe dumbledore would allow this.." i trail off as i notice harry's expression darken.

"thanks (y/n). i feel loads better." he says sarcastically. i didn't mean.. i sigh, taking his hands into mine. he finally looks back at me, an empty look in his eyes.

"i'm sorry, i didn't mean to make you feel worse. look, i'll help you get through this! we all will. you aren't dying on my watch." i tell him, trying to smiling encouragingly. harry manages a weak smile as well.

"thank you. really." he replies, looking me in my eyes.

"you should get some sleep. i'll see you tomorrow, ok?" i say, letting go of his hands, and he nods.

"goodnight, (y/n)." harry says, tucking my hair behind my ear and walking up the stairs. i watch him leave, feeling flustered. i wasn't expecting him to do that..

~time skip~

the next morning, hermione and i walk down to the common room to meet harry and ron so we can head to breakfast together. i filled hermione in on what happened last night, and what harry told me. she felt about the same way i did, but she's really worried about who could have put harry's name in the goblet.

when we get to the bottom of the stairs, we see ron, sitting alone. that's odd, where harry? ron sees us and walks over.

"are you guys ready? let's go." he says, heading for the portrait hole, but i grab his arm.