chapter 10: the mirror of erised

your pov

i wake up to the sound of someone's owl flying into our dorm. i look at the clock next to my bed. ugh. it's 2 am. i try to go back to sleep, but then i hear another noise, this time coming from the common room. since i'm already awake, i might as well go see what's going on. i walk down the stairs and see harry, with his invisibility cloak and a lantern.

"harry? what are you doing?" i ask him. i think i scared him, because he jumps before turning towards me.

"(y/n)? why are you even awake?" he asks.

"i could ask you the same thing." i answer.

"uh, i was just.. going to get a book.. i left out here.." he says. i can tell he's lying.

"with your invisibility cloak?" i ask. "see, i think you were going to sneak out to the restricted section without telling me or ron."

"ok fine, but that's because i knew you would want to come with me, and there's no sense in all of us getting in trouble. again." he replies.

"well you were right about one thing. i am coming with you. and there's no sense in arguing, my mind is made up." i say. he sighs, but i think i see him start to smile.

"alright then. let's go." he says and throws the invisibility cloak over us. i move closer to him so i can see better. i hold up the lantern. is he.. blushing? never mind. we need to focus on finding out who nicholas flamel is. we walk out of the common room to the library. once we reach the restricted section, harry takes the cloak off of us and we start searching for any information on what could be under that trapdoor. harry picks up a book and opens it. it. A man's face appears from between the pages, which screams loudly. Harry immediately slams the book shuts and puts it back.

"oh nice going." i say to him.

"who's there?" a voice asks. harry and i stare wide eyed at each other. filch. harry grabs the cloak, knocking the lantern over. he throws it over us.

"could you be any louder?" i ask him, only half joking.

"oh, shut up." he answers. i laugh a little.

"i know your in there. show yourself!" filch yells. we run out of the room into the hall. we go around a corner and see snape push quirrell into the wall.

"Severus...I-I thought..." quirrell stutters.

"You don't want me as your enemy, Quirrell." snape says.

"W-what do you m-mean?" quirrell asks.

"You know perfectly well what I mean." snape says. then he looks around, like he knows we're here. he stares right at us. i gasp, but harry covers my mouth. Snape reaches out like he's going to grab the cloak, but i pull us back just in time so he doesn't. He whips his finger back in front of Quirrell's face.

"We'll have another chat soon...when you've had time to decide where your loyalties lie." he snarles at quirrell. Filch arrives, carrying the broken lantern.

"Oh, Professors. I found this, in the Restricted Section. It's still hot. That means there's students out of bed." filch informs them. Upon hearing this, Snape and Quirrell dart off. harry and i run into a room to hide. harry takes the cloak off of us as i look around. we are in a vast, empty room with a large mirror at its center. harry walks over to it.

"harry, we should probably get back-" i start to say, but he interrupts me.

"i can see my parents," he says. "come here, can you see them?" i hesitantly walk over and stand in front of the mirror. i see myself, but im laughing. i'm watching two kids fly around on brooms, having fun. then i see a man walking toward me.. he's also laughing.. he has dark hair and..

harry grabs me and turns me away from the mirror. ron is with him now. jeez, how long have i been looking at this thing?

"well then? did you see them?" he asks. i shake my head.

"no, i saw myself, but i was older. and some kids on brooms..." for some reason i don't want to mention the man. besides, i didn't even get a good look at him, he might not have even been there..

"ron, what do you see?" harry says, interrupting my thoughts. i feel bad, he really wants to believe his parents are in that mirror. i put my hand on his shoulder, trying to comfort him.

ron smiles. "That's me! Only, I'm head boy...and I'm holding the Quidditch cup! And bloody hell, I'm Quidditch Captain too! I look good. do you think this mirror shows the future?"

"How can it? Both my parents are dead." Harry says sadly.