CHAPTER ONE

THE SERUM

Grenville, Tennessee - December 11th, 1990

"Happy Birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you June! Happy Birthday to you" 🎶

A small group of family and friends sang the birthday song as they surrounded June, the apparent birthday girl who sat on a chair facing a beautifully designed cake with lit candles of various colour sticks.

"Make a wish sweetheart" her mother said and leaned forward to her ears.
June blew the candles and everyone cheered.

"I'm so proud of you sweetie, it felt like yesterday, holding your tiny little fingers at the first sight of you. 16 years it has been and my baby is all grown up. I will always cherish the moment i had you, you are the best thing that has ever happened to me" June's father said to her as they both held hands at the corridor, away from the party happening inside. June wiped an uncontrollable tears dropping Patrick's right eye.

"I love you so much dad" she said and hugged him tight while he caressed her hair.

"It's snowing, you should grab your coat, I wouldn't want you to suffer an attack on this special day" Patrick said tapping her shoulder, she walked inside to grab a coat as her father suggested.

"Sir, your attention is needed at the special facility" A man walked up to him and said in a rush.

"Meet me outside in 5 Dylan" he responded and rushed back in to the party.
"Doris, I gotta go. something came up at the facility. I'll be right back" He said to his wife and kissed her forehead.

"You can't be serious Patrick, there is a heavy storm outside, its freezing cold and it's late" she protested.

"it's an emergency honey, I will be fine i promise. You have to trust me" he assured.

"Fine! Please be careful, call me when you arrive safely" she said touching his face.

"I will. Dylan's waiting for me outside, I gotta go" Patrick said and rushed outside.

🎶 All the flowers that you planted mama In the back yard, All died when you went away, I know that living with you baby was sometimes hard, But I'm willing to give it another try cause nothing compares to you. 🎶

Music from Sinéad O'Connor's nothing compares 2 u blanketed the background as June walked back to the ongoing party

"Where's dad?" she asked looking around.

"He got off with Dylan, they have an emergency" Doris replied looking worried.

"I hope he's gonna be okay? The storm is scary as fuck" she said.

"Language June!" Doris responded

"Oh I'm sorry mom"
"is he gonna be okay?" June asked again.

"Yes my love, he will be" she said and feigned a smile.
"Why don't you carry on with the party, you've not had much time with your friends, you should be with them" Doris added

"Yeah, sure" she said and left while Doris took a glance at her wristwatch.

**********

Sinclair Pharmaceutical Special Facility, Grenville.

Patrick approached the facility's Gate as he blared his car horn.