CHAPTER TWO

THE HOLE

********
FLASHBACK

Grenville, Tennessee - 4th July, 1990.

The cops surrounded a crash site as they began to search the nearby woods hoping to find clues to what dug the massive hole filled with flames.

"No survivors found sir. Nothing is out there." A cop said to his superior.

"Ever seen anything like it?" the cop chief asked

"No sir" Another cop responded.

"It's like a plane nose dived here or something.." the cop chief said again pacing around curiously.

"Sir we found something" a cop said from afar to the chief's hearing, they all rushed to his direction immediately.

**********

Sinclair Pharmaceutical HQ

"Mr Patrick Sinclair, thank you for arranging this meeting on a very short notice." A man said as he shook hands with Patrick.

"You're welcome sir, please have a seat" Patrick responded gesturing his hands to a seat.

"Without wasting much time, we'll get down to business. We were finally granted permission to the crash site, some say it's a meteor crash, some say it was an explosion. Whichever it is, we found something that might interest you" The man said as he placed a briefcase on the table and opened it up.

"This is a rare type of organism, we don't know what it is, which is why we're bringing it to your attention" he said as he brought out what looks like a worm moving in random manner enclosed in a glass jar.

"Rare indeed" he said and nodded. He took the jar from the man and observed it closely.

"What makes this creature strange is the fact that it came out of the burning hole dug by the meteor or explosive whatever. It seems like its got thick skin for flames" the man said while Patrick took a closer inspection of the organism in the glass jar.

"Thank you for bringing this to our notice Mr Andrews. We'll see what we can find on it and get back to you" Patrick said and shook hands once again as they both stood up.

"Be careful Mr Sinclair, we don't know what that is." Mr Andrews said and took his leave.
Patrick dropped the jar on the table, drew his landline closer and punched in some digits.

"Hello Vivian, I need Thomas and Dylan in my office right away" he said and dropped the call.
Few minutes later, Dr Thomas and Dylan walked in.

"Take a look at this, it was discovered at the crash site." he said handing over the jar to Thomas.
"I've never seen anything like it before" Dr. Thomas said handing over the jar to Dylan who also took a closer look at the moving worm-like creature in the jar.
"no idea boss" Dylan said handing the jar back to Patrick.

"You know what makes this ugly buddy here special??"
"It's got a thick skin for fire. That means fire can't kill it or melt it" Patrick said as Thomas and Dylan both look confused.

"This could be the answer! With this we can change humanity forever! Make history and reshape how the world works." Patrick said raising his fist in the air.

"I still don't get it" Thomas said looking at Dylan who shrugged in confusion.

"Gentlemen, we'll run some tests on this creature, find out whatever it is that makes it so immune to flames and by that, we could make humanity immune to fire"
"Not only that, this might be our jackpot to producing the world's first ever immortality serum"
"with this gentlemen, we hold the key to life" Patrick said raising the jar in the air and smiled as Dylan and Thomas finally understood what it was all about.