CHAPTER ELEVEN

FOLLOW THE COMPASS

Larry Forbes lead his team into the woods, the sound of a screaming Luke and his girl had attracted them during a patrol mission around the neighbourhood.
They held their torch firmly and crept the woods carefully, breaking a couple of rusty fallen tree branches on their way as they walked slowly to avoid unnecessary attraction.
Larry spotted Rose's camera on the floor and made a quick turn around with his torch to discover the zombie walking close to Scarlett, the zombie was about squatting to begin feeding as Larry Forbes ordered his men to open fire.

"Fire!!!" He barked the order as his team of police opened fire at the zombie, this distracted the zombie and left an unconscious Scarlett on the floor bleeding profusely.

The zombie let out a screeching sound as bullets pierced into its body and exit at the other end like a hot knife cutting through butter. They kept on firing at the zombie as it walked majestically towards them.

"Go get the girl!" Larry Forbes ordered pointing at a couple of officers who lowered their weapons and ran behind the zombie to help Scarlett. The rest of them team kept firing at the zombie as they began to run out of bullets.

"Shit!" A cop cursed in frustration as his gun was completely empty of any bullets, the zombie grabbed his neck and tore him to pieces right in front of the team of police firing at it.

"Come on, let's go!" Larry Forbes barked as the team retreat, some who still had bullets left kept firing to distract the zombie as the team ran out of the woods for safety, carrying Scarlett along. The zombie made a turn and ran the opposite way.

"Call an ambulance now!" Larry Forbes ordered breathing heavily as Scarlett lay on the ground unconscious.

A few minutes later, an ambulance arrived and Scarlett was immediately placed on a stretcher and carried into the ambulance. Her nose was covered in an oxygen mask as the life monitor connected to her gave out a beep sound. Larry Forbes hopped into the ambulance and closed the door as the ambulance sped away taking Scarlett to the hospital.

**********
FLASHBACK

Grenville, Tennessee - 4th July, 1990.

Shortly after the cops had taken some samples from the hole and left, Dr Thomas arrived at the scene to see things for himself. The hole had been restricted with a barricade tape. A danger warning was written on the tape for anyone intending to come close.

Dr Thomas went below the barricade tape ignoring the danger sign. He coughed as the fumes emitting from the hole thickened. He got closer to the hole and brought out a piece of paper to take down some observations he made. He squat to have a closer look at a glowing moving worm-like creature, he opened a glass jar and picked up the worm, placing it inside and enclosed the jar. Shortly his cellphone rang, startling him.

"Shit!"He cursed and pulled out the antenna to answer the call.

"Thomas, are you at the site?" Patrick asked over the phone.

"Yes sir, I've got something. The cops are gone anyway and they seem to have barricaded the hole. I think they found something."

"You gotta get out of there now! Immediately!" Patrick said over the phone.

"Yeah. I'm done, I'll be leaving now."

"Be careful." Patrick said and ended the call. Thomas stood up and insert the phone into his leather jacket and made an attempt to turn back but missed his steps causing him to roll uncontrollably into the hole.