CHAPTER EIGHT

THE INAUGURATION PARTY

Doris walked up the stairs to June's room and twisted the door knob, she paused after several futile attempts to open the door.

"Baby, Please open the door"
"Your dinner is getting cold" She said but got no response.

"June honey, please open up and let's talk."
"I know you're mad at your dad and I but please open the door and we'll sort this out" Doris said and still got no response from June.

June sat on her bed flicking through pages of her modern physics textbook, completely ignoring her mother's plea. She decided to starve herself as a means of protest to the restriction imposed by her father.

Doris sighed and made a walk back to the dinning room.
"She isn't answering Pat" She said to Patrick and shrugged as Patrick cut through a fried chicken with his knife. He dig in his fork into the piece of chicken and chewed the meat enthusiastically and followed with a sip of red wine.
He shifted his chair back and stood up.

"Where are you going?" Doris asked.

"To have a word with her of course" Patrick responded and head for June's room.

"Honey, it's me" Patrick said to the door
"Open up, your dinner is cold already"
"I promise I'll lift the ban if you come out and eat your food" He said as June turned her head to the door.

"I'll never ground you again, okay?"
"Just open up and come eat your dinner"
"Do we have a deal?" He said to the door as it suddenly opened up taking him aback.

"My goodness!" Patrick said placing his hand on his chest

"Hey dad" June muttered keeping a straight face. She knew her plan had worked but she was able to keep her excitement to herself.

"Sweetheart, I'm sorry for all the troubles I've caused you."

"It's fine dad"

"Will you join us for dinner? I'll have your food warm again" Patrick said

"You like it warm, don't you?" He said smiling as June's straight face ended with a twitch of her lips revealing a brief smile.

"Sure" She said as Patrick went back to the dinning room.
Shortly June joined in and her food had already been made warm again.

"Honey. I feel jealous, you know?" Doris said taking a glance at June and Patrick

"What?" June asked

"You often listen to your dad than you listen to me. I feel jealous" Doris said taking a bite at the sandwich she was holding.

"Mom it's... " June was saying as Patrick cut in

"It's simple, I tell her what she wants to hear" Patrick said and raised up his glass of wine.

"Oh really?" Doris said in a higher pitch tone mimicking Patrick's voice as June let out a brief laugh.

"Not funny" He said as the dining room went into a brief silence as everyone focused on their meal.

"The mayor has invited us to his inauguration party" Patrick said ending the minute long silence

"It's happening tomorrow and i want you to bring a couple of your friends over" he said turning to June.

"Really?" June asked excitingly