Seven Minutes in Hell

God damn it. How had he let himself get caught up in all this.

Leaning against the wall of the small pitch black closet, Nate cursed himself for not having just told Amber to screw off when she nominated him to play 7 minutes in heaven. She was always the first one to try and set him up with someone, be it a boy or a girl.

She was still trying to figure out exactly which way he swung, which was something Nate had made sure to keep to himself. As his best friend, Amber seemed to have an obsessive desire to set him up with someone- anyone. It had become a game between the two of them, she trying to set him up with both boys and girls to see which one he went for and him doing his best to remain ambiguous.

It wasn't that he was ashamed of what he was, he just enjoyed torturing his best friend by not telling her. Of course, that meant not telling anybody else as well, which made the whole 7 minutes in heaven thing quite complicated. He was really not looking forward to the prospect of kissing a girl, or having to resist pushing her off of him in order to not give himself away. No doubt Amber would make sure to send in one of her close friends to spill all the details the second the 7 minutes was up.

Erik raised his hand.

"I'll go in."

Complete silence followed as everyone in the room averted their gaze to him.

"As a joke of course."

Relieved laughter filled the air as both the boys and the girls sitting in the room relaxed, both for different reasons. No doubt all the girls would be upset to find out that they didn't have a chance with the school's golden boy. And, as for the guys, hanging out with the most popular kid in school would become a lot more complicated if they found out he was gay...or bisexual....or sexually confused.

Erik had never bothered to label himself. He just figured he was attracted to people for different reasons, their gender not playing a factor. The problem was, he found girls pretty, but...they never really seemed to do it for him.

Nate, however, was a totally different story. He'd been watching him for quite some time, almost obsessively. He was surprised the guy hadn't noticed. This was the perfect opportunity to get some alone time with him without having to out himself.

"Hey, Erik." Erik paused as he headed for the door, a blonde girl with brown eyes and a bubbly smile calling his name. Her name was Amber, if he remembered correctly, and she was in his Math class.

"Yeah?" he asked, staring at her hesitantly.

"Listen, I'm trying to figure out which way my friend Nate, the one in the closet, swings. He refuses to tell me, so I have to resort to these little games. I don't want you to do anything too totally embarrassing, but could you just.....I dunno, like just kiss him on the cheek?"

The girl seemed to feel awkward asking this of him, although he had already made plans himself to do much more than just kiss Nate on the cheek.

"Umm....I dunno, I'll see." Erik said, shrugging nonchalantly.

"You should totally kiss him, Erik." He could hear his friend Sean's voice call out from behind him, his macho guy ego tainting his words with evil malice. "It'll be a hoot. Especially if he thinks you're a girl."

"Yeah..." Erik said, remembering most people weren't really sure which way Nate swung. He'd been able to pick up on the fact that the guy was gay immediately, but most other people seemed oblivious to it.

Pushing open the closet door, Erik quickly closed it behind him. He didn't need his friends blowing his cover.

By the time Nate had whipped his head around, the small flash of light that had illuminated the closet was gone. He knew someone else was in here with him, he just didn't know who. He could tell by the sound of the person's breath that they were near the door of the closet, but beyond that he knew nothing more than he had a minute ago.