Temptation

Zack glanced across the table, watching Amber attempt to shove half a cheeseburger down her throat and carry on a conversation at the same time. She was a rather repulsive creature, in more than just one facet.

He'd been throwing around the theory that she was defective, sort of like the talking dolls mothers bought for their eight year old daughters. Except this doll just wouldn't stop talking. She sure as hell did have the I.Q. to match, though.

"So, how do you know Nate?" Zack interjected, interrupting her current rant.

Amber blinked, surprised by the sudden change of topic. "I know him from school. He's been my best friend practically since the day I was born. I mean, it's funny, cause we're like totally opposites, except for out taste in guys."

Zack responded with a polite, controlled smile.

"Hey, look, I'm sorry about him ditching you for Erik." Amber added, more as a half-hearted after-thought than anything else.

Zack's jaw tightened slightly, his lips drawing into a thin line. "That's alright, sometimes people need a little guidance before they realize what is best for them."

Amber shook her head. "No. I think Nate made the right choice. I mean, don't get me wrong, you seem like a really cool guy and all. It's just, him and Erik are, like, perfect for each other, in a really weird way that I never would have guessed until they started talking. And trust me, of all people, I was hoping Nate wasn't Erik's type if you know what I mean."

Zack's eyes narrowed slightly. "You were interested in Erik?"

"Yeah. Who wouldn't be? I mean, have you seen the guy? But, I dunno, he seems really into Nate, even though he's had girlfriends and all. I guess Nate finally made him realize he likes guys more than girls or something. Or maybe Nate's his exception. I don't really know, I just know that together, they work."

"Well, As Nate's best friend, I'm sure you have a good amount of influence over his decisions."

Amber nodded, shoving another bite of cheeseburger into her mouth.

"And...you wouldn't, maybe, prefer to have Erik to yourself?"

Amber's eyes widened as she set down her cheeseburger. "What exactly are you trying to say? I thought you were Nate's friend..."

"I am." Zack reassured her. "That's why I think it would be best if he ended up with me, instead of Erik. Think about it. Since his relationship with Erik began, he's almost gotten beaten up by Sean, has had his fingers broken, and has been under constant stress, doing things he normally wouldn't. He got wasted to the point that he passed out at a party I took him to, Amber. "

Wow, she hadn't been aware that Nate had been all that close with Zack, sharing all this stuff with him. Then again, Nate hadn't really been telling her much of anything lately, so it made sense she wouldn't know about this.

Amber fidgeted in her seat, suddenly feeling totally uncomfortable. For how supportive she had always been of their relationship, he did have a point. Nate had been seriously ignoring her because of whatever was going on between him and Erik. And then, Sean had almost raped her, just to get back at the two of them. Which was so not cool. And she was betting that Sean wasn't going to stop making all their lives hell until Erik and Nate broke up.

"Nate listens to you, doesn't he, Amber? If you....pushed him in a certain direction, it might be better for everyone."

Amber pushed her plate away from her, leaving the half eaten cheeseburger there. She suddenly wasn't very hungry.

"Give me some time to...think it over, alright?"

Zack nodded, reaching into his pocket and pulling out a card. "Here's my number. Give me a call once you've decided what you want to do. I only want the best for Nate, Amber. He's truly a very special boy."