Insurance

Nate sighed, scanning the throngs of obnoxious, self-absorbed teenagers occupying the food court. This was so not where he wanted to be on his night off. The dance was tomorrow, and Erik had insisted on taking him shopping for a tux.

He didn't mind the whole 'spending time with Erik' part, he just didn't feel like being around anyone else. Amber had been acting weird, avoiding him and being uncharacteristically quiet when she couldn't. And his mother had been pushing him to ask a girl out, 'seeing as he was going anyways', according to her. It was tiring, living a lie.

Funny, Erik was the only person he could really be himself around. Too bad the rest of the world had to be here and fuck up everything.

"Nathaniel, you might want to at least try and act like you're having a good time. The prospect that you find spending time with me so utterly loathsome might eventually go to my head, you know."

"I'm sorry. It's not you, really. It's just...Amber's been acting weird, distant...and my mother keeps trying to get me to ask a girl out to homecoming."

An amused smirk spread across Erik's face. "Ah, so, your mother's trying to play cupid? At some point, you're going to have to tell her the truth."

"Yeah...I'm going to tell her...eventually. It's just, the right moment hasn't presented itself."

"And when exactly would that be, Nathaniel?"

Nate shrugged, letting out another sigh. "I dunno...I was kind of hoping, maybe, you could be there when I told her. I mean, I know it'll be awkward and all, but-"

"I wouldn't have it any other way."

Nate couldn't help but smile back as he looked up and realized Erik had one of his million-dollar genuine smiles on, the kind he rarely got to see. Maybe the afternoon wouldn't turn out to be so horrible after all.

"So, where exactly are we going? I mean, is there even a tux shop in this mall?"

"Yes, it's a little further back. I'd prefer to browse a little first though, wouldn't you?"

Nate bit down on his lip, deciding he might as well humor Erik. Where else did he have to be? Back at home. Yeah, cause he so wanted to be there.

"Yeah. Sure. Let's go."

They hadn't been browsing for long before Nate noticed the female cashier seemed to have taken a special interest in Erik. She was staring at him from behind the counter like she'd just won the lottery, and had but to claim her prize. The girl whipped out a compact, reapplying her lip gloss with a quick lip pucker before heading off in Erik's direction, moving in for the kill.

Stupid whore. Couldn't she see that they were together?

Nate headed towards his boyfriend at a half-jog, beating the girl to him by mere seconds and latching onto his hand. Erik was his. And, apparently, he needed to make that a little more clear to the rest of the world.

Erik turned towards Nate, a surprised look on his face as he opened his mouth, only to be cut off by the girl.

"Hi. Oh is this your brother?"

"No!" Nate shot back before Erik could respond, his grip tightening on Erik's hand. "He's my boyfriend."

The girl looked shocked and disappointed all at once, her gaze resting on Erik as if to say 'Are you sure?'.

"Yes, it seems you may be confused. Nathaniel is my boyfriend."

The girl took a step back, embarrassment marring her features. "Oh. That's...nice. I'll just be over at the counter if you two need anything."