The Safety Precaution

"Amber, give me the god damn phone!"

"No." Amber replied, dangling the phone just out of Nate's reach as she danced around her hot pink slug bug parked in the school parking lot. "Not until you tell me what you're going to say to him."

"Why does it matter to you?"

"Because, it's my job as your bff to make sure you don't screw things up even worse."

"I'm just going to apologize, alright."

"And?" She asked, her eyes narrowing at him in suspicion.

"And that's it." Well, pretty much. At least he wasn't lying to her, just not telling her the whole truth.

Hesitating for a minute, she cast one final suspicious glance his way before handing him the phone. "Alright, don't fuck things up now."

Nate quickly pulled up Amber's contacts in her phone and found Erik's number. He took a deep breath, trying to compose himself the best he could before hitting dial.

The phone rang a few times before he got an answer.

"Hello? Amber?"

Nate's voice caught in his throat for a second as he heard Erik on the other end of the line. Forcing the words out, he hoped to god Erik didn't hang up when he realized who he was talking to.

"Not exactly."

The voice on the other end went silent for a few moments before speaking again.

"Ah. I should've known, Nathaniel."

Crap. Nate couldn't get a read on him at all. His tone was flat, and of course he couldn't see him to read his facial expression, though he highly doubted he'd be able to read him even if he could see him.

"Listen...I'm sorry about last night...I really need to talk to you."

"You are."

"In person..."

Another pause. "Nathaniel, I am not sure that would be the best idea given the circumstances."

Nate inhaled sharply. "I'm going to see you one way or another. I'll look you up in the phone book if I have to."

Nate could've almost sworn he heard a small chuckle on the other end of the line. "Very well. Meet me at the parking lot I took you to last weekend in 20 minutes."

"Alright."

Nate couldn't help but let out a sigh of relief. He had agreed to meet with him without too much prodding, and in a private place, which meant he probably planned on talking, or at least listening to Nate's explanation of the events that had transpired last night. Ending the phone call, Nate handed it back to an expectant Amber.

"Soooo, what did he say?"

"He agreed to meet with me."

Amber let out a shrill squeal. "You should totally let me come too."

"No way Amber."

"Aww, c'mon. You wouldn't have even been able to arrange this if it weren't for me."

"You can drive me there."

"Nate!" She wined, a pouty look spreading across her face.

"No. I'm sorry Amber. This is not going to be the type of conversation we'll want someone else listening in on. Besides, I could barely get Erik to agree to meet with me alone, let alone you as well."

She let out a disappointed huff, but still seemed at least a bit pleased that she'd played a part in the meeting that had just been arranged between the two of them.