Never Say Never

Nate shifted his weight nervously from side to side as Erik's car pulled up beside him. He had to know what was going on. The nice little suitcase at his side was a total giveaway. Taking a deep breath, Nate slid into the passenger seat, sneaking a glance at Erik in his peripheral vision.

His hair looked wet, matted to his face in brown strands. Crap. He must've just gotten out of the shower. And he smelled fresh, like spring rain, probably from the soap he used. His clothes were clinging to him, dampened from the contact with his skin.

"Erik, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to interrupt your shower-"

"Please tell me there's another explanation for why you're out here, alone, carrying a suitcase at 5 :40 in the morning." Erik's tone was completely controlled, his features giving away nothing. Nate could tell, though, he was tense as hell. His fingers were white knuckling the steering wheel, and each breath he took was calculated, precisely timed in an effort to maintain the control.

Nate held his breath, wishing he had some other answer for Erik.

"I....I tried to talk to my mom about the whole me being gay thing....and, well, I guess things might have gotten out of hand...I mean, I just...I ended up saying some shit you probably wouldn't have wanted me to say."

"Did you give her an ultimatum, Nathaniel?"

Nate bit down on his lip, bracing himself. "...Yes."

Erik's closed his eyes, leaning his head back against the headrest and running a hand through his thick mane of brown locks. Swallowing hard, Nate immediately regretted what he'd done, not for the sake of him and his mother's relationship as Erik probably was, but for Erik's sake. He didn't want to put any more stress on his boyfriend than he was already probably under.

"Erik, I'm sorry. Listen, if this is about where I'm going to stay or whatever, don't worry about it. I'm not your responsibility."

Erik's eyes flew open, his head slowly turning toward Nate.

"The fact that you would even assume such a thing is inconceivable. You should know by now that I do not view you as any sort of obligation. Nor is this about where you will be living. Those are all minor details compared to the magnitude of the choice you have just made, Nathaniel. I will not allow you to sacrifice you relationship with your mother for my sake. "

"Erik, come on! This is my choice!"

"Yes, well, it may be your choice, but I will not allow you to make a decision that will affect you negatively in the future. You do not always know what's best for you, Nathaniel. And trust me when I tell you that nothing good can come from severing ties with your mother."

"What are you talking about!" Nate vaguely registered the fact that he was yelling, but couldn't really stop the rest from coming out now that he'd started. "What about us! I mean, what about where you're going to live!"

"My well being is insignificant compared to your relationship with you mother."

Nate blinked, almost choking on Erik's words.

"Do you even fucking hear yourself, Erik! How can you even think that!"

"Your mother is a vital part of you, Nathaniel, whether you consciously register it or not. It is bad enough that I have come between you and your best friend-"

"That wasn't even your fault! Amber's just been a bitch lately-"

"That's irrelevant, Nathaniel. In the end, I am the reason you and Amber are experiencing problems, as am I the reason you have now cut ties with your mother."