The Difference Between Boys and Girls

Nate paced back in forth in front of Erik's locker, feeling like a real stalker. But hey, how the hell else was he supposed to get a hold of him? He had no idea why it hadn't occurred to him to get his number the night before, but he figured he'd chalk it up to all the drama that had gone down.

BEEP

Crap. That was the final bell. He didn't need another tardy to add to the reasons his mother had to be pissed off at him. She'd completely ripped him a new one for not only being as late as he was, but bringing a guest to the house at 1 .am. Yup. His mother was the type that felt it was rude to get angry or anything around guests, which meant no lectures or outbursts until company had left.

Honestly, though, his broken curfew was the last thing on his mind. After the crap that had happened to Erik's car and getting home at 3:30 in the morning, he hadn't been able to sleep.

Oh man. What if something had happened to Erik? What if whoever trashed Erik's car came back to his apartment after they dropped him off and-

Gah. He couldn't let himself think about any of that right now. He just needed to get to class, and text Amber to see if she had his number.

Heading over to his first period class, Nate tried not to draw too much attention to himself as he entered the classroom late.

"Nate Havers, I hope that in the future you don't make it a habit of being late." Nate could barely hear his teacher's voice call out from behind him. His mind seemed to have taken on a sort of single minded, mental tunnel vision. He barely nodded his head as he slid into his seat next to Amber.

"Hey, Nate. You alright?" Amber chimmed in her usual cheerful morning voice. "You seem a little tense."

"Yeah, I'm fine." Nate mumbled, sliding his phone out of his pocket. "Listen, can you give me Erik's number?"

"Yeah...so I guess this means you guys made up?"

Right. He hadn't told her yet. "Yeah, we hung out last night, but someone trashed his car."

Amber made a gasping noise, bringing her hands up to her mouth. "Oh my gosh! Is he alright?"

"That's what I'm trying to find out now. What's his number?"

Amber read his number from her phone before, as expected, trying to get some juicy details about last night.

"So, what did you guys do? Was there some lip action-"

"Later, Amber. Alright."

The bubbly blonde girl looked put-off by her best friend's lack of details, but shrugged, muttering under her breath, "Sheesh. You really aren't a morning person."

Nate ignored his friend's mumbling, typing a text to Erik instead.

Where the hell are you?

Excuse me? Who is this?

Nate. Why weren't you at your locker this morning?

I had to get a rental car so I've been running a little late.

What was in that envelop last night?

Nothing of importance.

Bullshit! What was in that envelope?

Some things are better left alone, Nathaniel.

Nate's grip tightened around his cell phone. Why was he treating him like he couldn't handle any of this? Like he was a child?

That's it. Were not having this conversation over text. Meet me out in front of the school at the beginning of 2nd period.

Nathaniel, I know for a fact that you have class that period.