The Lesser of Two Evils

"Are you hungry?"

Nate glared at Erik from across the counter, fidgeting in his seat anxiously. "Cut the crap and just show me the letter."

"You know, Nathaniel, most people would appreciate the efforts of another to be hospitable."

"Yeah. Okay, well get on with it. I'm not hungry. I'm not thirsty. I don't need anything, except to see that letter."

Erik let out a sigh of resignation before nodding his head. "Very well."

Dissapearing into the room Nate knew to be Erik's bedroom, he emerged a few seconds later with the envelope in his hand. To Nate's aggravation, however, Erik stopped a few feet away from him.

"I show you this on one condition."

"What?"

"You ask nothing pertaining to the contents of what you come to know as a result."

Nate's eyes narrowed. That was a hell of a promise to make considering he had no idea what the letter said. He really didn't have much of a choice, though.

"Fine." Erik covered the distance between them, handing the envelop to Nate.

With shaky hands, Nate tore the letter out of the envelope, skimming over the words eagerly.

I must confess, you've proven to be quite disappointing.

Shaming your mother from her grave...

Not very nice of you, Erik.

And Sacrificing your Queen for a pawn?

I would have thought you wiser...

Perhaps I've misjudged you,

Though only time will tell.

I would strongly recommend that you correct your unrepentant ways.

You know how troublesome family ties can be.

And no visitors, under any circumstances.

Jealousy and I do not play well together.

This is, of course, for your eyes only

I'd hate to think you'd share something this personal between us with someone else.

Nate's brows furrowed in confusion as he dropped the letter onto the counter. What the hell? None of that made any sense.

"I thought you said you didn't have any ex-boyfriends I needed to worry about?"

"This is not from an ex-boyfriend."

"And you told me I was the only one you ever told about your parents." Nate didn't mean to sound like he was accusing Erik of lying, but he didn't know any other way to say it.

"You are." Erik responded calmly.

"But then how-"

"No questions, Nathaniel, remember? I've already answered two, with was more than I had agreed to in the first place. All I can tell you is that everything that I have told you has been the truth, and that there are still things you don't know that make this situation...much more complex."

"Then why don't you explain them to me." Nate shot, feeling completely frustrated.

"There is a time and place for everything, Nathaniel. And doing so would...making things difficult."

"So freakin' what. This whole situation is already difficult."

Erik met Nate's gaze, studying his face for a second before looking away. "I have to be sure of something."