The Ultimatum

Nate fidgeted in the passenger seat of Erik's car, glancing over at the front door to his house one more time. They still had so much to talk about, so much to sort through. But staying at Erik's trashed apartment any longer wasn't something either one of them wanted. They'd quickly gathered the tattered remains of Erik's mother's books, shuffled them into a duffle bag, and headed for the door.

After driving around for what seemed like forever, Erik had safely confirmed that they were not being followed, and proceeded to drive Nate back to his house. Which, of course, led them to the current impass they seemed to be fighting over. And, go figure, Erik seemed to have regained his composure just enough to put up a fight.

"Erik, come one, you know you can't go back to your apartment."

"I have money. Renting a hotel room would be the best choice, given the events that have just transpired."

"No fucking way are you spending the night alone at some hotel room after what just happened."

A small smirk tugged at the corners of Erik's lips, one that Nate would have given anything for a few hours ago but was now contributing to his rising temper.

"You know, you're quite cute when you're worried, Nathaniel."

"This isn't a joke, Erik! This is serious! I mean, c'mon! Someone just broke into your apartment, trashed the one thing that they know meant the most to you, and did it while we were only a few floors up!"

"Nathaniel, you do realize what time it is, don't you? 3 A.M. . If I am correct in my assumption of what you are suggesting, I'd like to remind you that just earlier today you and your mother got into an altercation about the very thing your plan entails."

"I'll take care of that, alright. I mean...she can't just throw you out, not if I tell her either you stay or I go."

Erik's eyes narrowed, his features suddenly tensing. "That is absolutely out of the question. Nathaniel, I will not allow you to-"

"It's not your choice, Erik-"

Erik's voice was completely grave when he spoke, making it obvious that even if his mother did agree, he wouldn't stay.

"Nathaniel, I know how much I valued my relationship with my mother. I refuse to allow you to put yours in jeopardy because of me. This is not debatable."

Nate crossed his arms, letting out a frustrated huff. "Yeah, well, neither is the possibility of you staying the night by yourself after some creepy-ass stalker guy trashed your apartment. I mean, what if he found out whatever hotel you were staying at and tracked you down and-"

"You don't believe I could handle myself?" Erik asked, raising an eyebrow.

" I don't want to find out. I mean, what if this is more than one person, Erik."

"It's not."

Nate's eyes narrowed. Hell, he hadn't even bothered to ask if Erik had had any success in figuring out who the guy was.

"And how the hell do you know?"

"Because, this is personal. And there are only two people that know of what the letter entailed. Neither of them would work together, for obvious reasons."

When Erik didn't continue, Nate raised an eyebrow, prodding him on. Erik let out a heavy sigh, leaning forward.

"Sean wouldn't do this. Nor would he work with my father."

Nate's eyes bulged as his mind tried to wrap itself around the idea of what he'd just suggested. He really didn't like the prospect of Erik's father coming back into his life. The guy sounded totally unstable. And, on top of that, he'd probably try to kill him for what he'd done to Erik if he ever met him, and murder wasn't exactly on his to-do list.