Home Sweet Home

Nate glanced over at Erik, who was now anxiously running a hand through his hair, pacing the length of Sean's living room.

"No. I don't believe anything good can come from this."

"Erik, c'mon." Nate pleaded, looking back down at the calling card in his hand. When Sean and Amber had called about Zack breaking into the apartment and leaving a calling card, they'd neglected to mention the calling card had been left for one person in specific. Him.

The apartment had remained relatively undisturbed, the only sign Zack had even been there in the form of the calling card he'd left on the dining room table, and the small note attached to it, giving detailed instructions for Nate and only Nate to call him at the number written on it. It had also included a nice little tid bit about how he was flattered by the sudden interest Erik had taken in him, following him around and all. So, obviously, that meant breaking into his apartment would be out of the question. He'd known he was being tailed all along.

"We need a break here, something to pin on him. We're not even gonna be able to break into his apartment now, Erik. Maybe if I talk to him, he'll slip up, and-"

"I don't want you having any more contact with him, Nathaniel. Your last encounter with him almost proved to be fatal. I do not wish to press our luck in a similar circumstance again."

"But, Erik, it's gonna be over the phone-"

"I don't care. It still poses a relative threat-"

"Erik, the little shit's got a point." Sean interrupted, followed be a shrill noise of agreement from Amber. "I mean, right now, we've got nothing. And he's got enough ammunition to take us all down here. I know you want to keep your little boy toy safe and all, but I assure you, he's not gonna be safe when Zack turns us all in to the police and he gets sent to jail-"

"Jail? Why would he go to jail?" Amber asked, her eyes drifting from Sean to Nate, and then Erik.

"It's complicated." Sean grumbled, dismissing her with a wave of his hand. "But seriously, Erik-"

"Wait. Why would Nate go to jail?" Amber interrupted again, her voice a little more alarmed this time.

"Listen, Amber." Nate said, turning to her before Sean could light into her for interrupting him a second time. "You don't want to know. Honestly. And telling you would only make this situation worse. All I can say is that Zack knows that I know something that could get me locked up."

"So. Wait. Like, you lied to me-"

"Oh shut the fuck up!" Sean snarled, turning and glaring at her. "It doesn't matter, alright. The details aren't what's fucking important here. What's done is done. All you need to know is Zack's little grudge against Erik, it's about more than just him being with Nate, and Zack knows shit that could get the three of us locked up for a hell of a long time."

Amber made a pouty face, crossing her arms in front of her. "I hate when people keep secrets from me."

Erik cleared his throat, stepping forward slightly. "Yes, well some secrets kill, Amber, and I assure you that if I could have kept this one from Nathaniel, I would have."

Nate made a noise of protest, opening his mouth to object only to be cut off by Erik, though this time it was obvious he wasn't talking to her.

"It's bad enough that I've involved you in this, Nathaniel. My actions inadvertently almost led to your death. I will not allow you to be put in danger because of me again."

"Yeah, well, I hate to break it to you, but it's not only your choice. I'm not going to sit here twiddling my thumbs while some psychopath goes after my boyfriend, especially when there's something I might be able to do about it."