Redemption

"No. Don't say that. Nathaniel, don't you dare-"

Zack interrupted, making a tsk, tsk noise with his tongue. "Now, now, Erik. I would have thought you more sentimental. No 'I love you'? No, 'I can't live without you'? How disappointing."

Nate closed his eyes, swallowing hard as he tried to keep himself from crying. He wouldn't let Erik hear him cry. He wouldn't give Zack any more fucking pleasure than he was already getting from this. No, if this was going to be his last few moments on earth, he wasn't going to spend them looking at Zack's ugly ass face. If he closed his eyes just tight enough, he could picture Erik, with one of his million dollar smiles.

"I'm sorry, Nate, that things had to end this way between us. You really are quite an attractive boy. Perhaps, in another life, things could have worked between us."

"Go to hell." Nate muttered, keeping his eyes closed as he tried to force the sound of Zack's voice from his mind.

"Oh don't worry, I'll meet you there eventually."

Bracing himself, Nate's eyes flew open as he recognized a voice that he never thought he'd be glad to hear.

"Surprise, motherfucker."

Nate's gaze drifted past Zack, connecting with Sean's for a second and then registering the fact that the guy had a gun leveled at Zack's head.

"Bet you didn't see this one coming you twisted little fucker. You think you can get away with raping this pathetic little shit? Wrong. See, you seem to have forgotten one thing. My brother and I, we look out for each other. And, unfortunately for you, this kid you're about to rape is hella important to him. So, here's the deal. You drop the gun and do as I say, and I won't blow your fucking brains out."

Zack's eyes narrowed, his face twitching slightly as he hesitated.

"So, this is what you've elected, is it? Very well. I was actually sparing you in a way, Nate. I assure you, there are things much worse than death, and you will learn so soon enough."

Finally, he lowered the gun, dropping it to the ground before stepping back.

"Yeah, that's right. Nice n' easy there. Now this is what I want you to do. Take your sorry ass home, and leave the three of us the fuck alone. I'm not all too fond of the idea of wasting the rest of my future on a shithead like you, but don't think I won't go to jail for my brother. I will, in a heartbeat. And it doesn't hurt that I have my own little grudge to settle with you."

Staring down the trigger of Sean's gun, Zack dropped Nate's phone, slowly easing his way back into the darkness. Sean followed him all the way down the street, making sure he actually left before returning to Nate's side.

Nate slumped against the wall, feeling his legs give out on him as he slid to the ground. What the hell just happened? Shakily, he reached forward, grabbing hold of the phone and holding it up to his ear the best he could.

"Erik?"

Cursing inwardly, Nate realized the other line had gone dead. Zack must've hit something when he dropped the phone and cut the connection. And fuck. He was shaking so bad he couldn't even dial Erik's phone number. He kept hitting the wrong god damn buttons and having to start over.

"Here."

Nate jumped, snapping his head up and jolting slightly as he met Sean's gaze. Christ, he was jumpy.

"Whoa there. Take it easy."

For the first time, Sean actually sounded empathetic, almost compassionate. Maybe it was just the adrenaline and shit still fucking with his mind. Yeah, that had to be it.