Karma's a Bitch

Beep. Beep. Beep.

Nate opened one eye, then the other. Gah. What time was it? Nate took a few second to wait for his vision to focus before glancing at the clock.

8:43 A.M. on a Saturday morning. Who the hell was texting him this early?

Reaching for his phone, he felt a small smile spread across his face as he recognized Erik's number on the text. If it had been anyone else, he would have cussed them out and gone back to bed for a good 3 hours. Not that he exactly had a whole lot of people that texted him in the first place. But still.

Nate flipped open his phone, squinting as he skimmed over the text.

I'm sure you're still sleeping, Nathaniel, but I want you to text me when you get up. I'm just checking in with you to make sure everything's alright after what happened last night.

The first thing that ran through Nate's mind at the mention of last night was the nice little make out session him and Erik had had. He could feel a flush come to his face just at the thought as his body tensed up slightly. Yeah, that had been amazing. Every second of it. His only objection was that it hadn't lasted long enough.

Rereading the text, though, Nate realized Erik must've been talking about the creepy ass picture he'd gotten and the deafening revelation that someone had been following them the whole night. Yup. That made a hell of a lot more sense than Nate's first thought, though he definitely liked the first one better.

Nat felt an undeniable warmth spread through his chest as he realized if Erik had texted him, that meant he must've been thinking about him. He was checking in on him to make sure he was safe. And wasn't that just the best way to start off his Saturday morning.

Nate texted Erik back quickly, not wanting to worry him any more than he probably already had.

Yeah. Everything's fine here. What about you? Any more nice little pictures?

He probably should've been a hell of a lot more worried about this whole 'someone was obsessively stalking him and Erik' thing, except he was way too busy being happy. He couldn't remember the last time he'd woken up with a smile on his face, and not just any smile, the ridiculous, toothy kind that makes your cheeks hurt from being so wide. He hadn't felt this carefree and just..content, in forever. Stupid Erik. Making him into some smiling, 'The world is an amazing place full of daisies and rainbows' pansy.

Glancing down at the phone, Nate forced himself upright, deciding he'd better get up instead of just sitting around and obsessively checking his phone every few seconds. He'd already reached an all new low last night when he'd practically begged Erik to have sex with him. Yup. Definitely not his greatest moment. He didn't need to make himself even more pathetic by actually acknowledging the fact that his whole day would probably revolve around texts from Erik.

"Nathaniel, breakfast!

Nate barely registered the sound of his mother's voice calling out to him from the downstairs kitchen. God. He hated how his mother always insisted on having meals together. If he hadn't gotten up already, he would have just pretended to be asleep for a few more hours to avoid the whole thing. No way he could do that now, though. She'd obviously already heard him moving around upstairs.

Checking the phone once more, Nate sighed before heading downstairs and taking a seat in the dining room.

His mother appeared shortly after, setting a plate of bacon and eggs in front of him.

"So, how was the dance?"

Nate took his time chewing the bacon and eggs he'd just stuffed into his mouth, stalling for time.