Nostalgia

Erik flipped his cell phone closed, a grave look on his face as he turned towards Nate.

"It's done. It's over. Zack's dead."

Nate let out a sigh of relief, wishing Erik felt the same. He knew he must be feeling some sort of relief, but at the same time, Nate could already tell he was worried for his brother, and what Zack's murder might mean for Sean.

"Erik..." Nate said softly, reaching out and holding Erik's hands in his own. "Don't do that. Don't blame yourself. You can't always be there to protect everyone. "

Erik's eyes met Nate's as he swallowed hard, managing a small nod.

"Yes. You are right, of course."

Nate could tell, though, by the tension in Erik's voice, that even if he did know Nate was right, he still wouldn't be able to just forget about it and move on. Maybe it was best to simply look forward to the future instead of dwelling on the past.

"Just think." Nate said, deciding to focus on the positive in hopes of distracting Erik. "We can move in to our own apartment now, just you and I. Things can be how we've always wanted. No Zack. No drama. Just the two of us."

A small smile began to tug on the corners of Erik's lips, though the tension in his face was still visible.

"Indeed... It seems an odd prospect, almost too good to be true."

Nate grinned, leaning forward and kissing Erik affectionately.

He was right. It did seem too good to be true. They'd gone from not knowing if they'd live to see the next day to having the whole future in front of them.

"Almost. One request though." Nate said, his memories drifting back to the earlier events of the day.

"Anything."

He hated to be an inconvenience like this and tell Erik he wanted them to find a new apartment, but he didn't think he'd be able to stomach going back to the old one after seeing Erik in the state he'd been in the last time he'd been there.

"I love the apartment and all, I just, I don't think I can go back there, not after-"

"Say no more Nathaniel. I was thinking precisely the same thing."

Nate nodded, knowing they should probably look for a place relatively close to the high school.

Gah. School. In all the craziness, Nate had forgotten about all the shit they'd have to deal with when they got back. So much had happened theses past few months that people back at school would undoubtedly ask questions about, especially about Erik's suicide attempt. As if the fact that they'd become a couple hadn't given people a reason enough to talk about them. But whatever. They would make it through all the gossip and shit, as long as they had each other. That was really all that mattered.

"School should be interesting. I'm sure by the time we get back everyone will have heard about all the shit that's gone down."

Erik let out a soft chuckle, a small smirk tugging at the corners of his lips. "Indeed, it should make things rather interesting. We have been through more than our fair share of obstacles these past few months, I suppose."

Nate laughed, shaking his head. "Yeah, considering most high school couples can't even make it through a few months of normal shit, let alone when you add crazy stalkers, family secrets, and a homophobic brother into the mix."

"Well, I suppose, when it truly comes down to it, nothing can stop fate if two people are meant to be together."

Nate nodded, fully assured that him and Erik were just that: meant to be together. They'd been through so much shit, started out as just two people locked in a closet together at some high school party, and ended up facing off with a homicidal stalker, just for the opportunity to be with one another. Instead of tearing them apart, though, like it would've most people, it had just made them stronger, made them realized exactly how much they needed one another.

"It's been worth it, though, to go through all this. I mean, now that we can be together. Now that I can be with you."

Erik nodded, flashing Nate one of his genuine smiles, the kind that Nate had grown to live for over these past few months.

"Without a doubt, Nathaniel. Without a doubt."

"So, what do you think?" Erik whispered, wrapping his arms around Nate from behind and pressing a soft kiss to Nate's neck.

Nate smiled, loving the fact that they didn't have to hide their affection for each other now that they had their own apartment. He loved their new apartment even more than the old one, mostly because it was farther away from Sean's, and the old house he'd shared with his mom for so long, and anything that reminded him of all the shit that had gone down with Zack for that matter.

"It's perfect Erik, really."Nate said, tilting his head back so he'd be able to see Erik. "You know what though?"

"Hmm?" Erik asked, pressing another soft kiss to the base of Nate's neck.

"I'm betting," Nate drawled, pulling Erik forward slightly. "That we'd have a lot more fun in there."

Tilting his head towards the closet, Nate felt Erik smile against his neck.

"Funny," Erik whispered, leading Nate's body forward with his own slightly. "I was thinking the same thing . It's only fitting, after all, that our new life here starts much the same way this all began."

Sliding his hands down slightly, Nate smiled as he felt Erik lace his fingers around his belt buckle.

"You know, Nathaniel, I do believe this is the very same belt buckle you wore back during our first initial closet encounter."

Nate grinned, knowing Erik was right, not only because he wore that belt buckle most often because of that exact reason, but because he'd purposely chosen to wear it today.

"Yeah, I was hoping you'd notice."

"How could I not?" Erik whispered, his smile turning into a crooked smirk. "You have, as I've always said, had that sort of peculiar effect on me, Nathaniel."

A/N: Hey everyone , hope you enjoyed the book. I'm planning to release a sequel to Secrets that Kill in the next few weeks that will feature Sean pursuing (albeit clumsily) his own boyxboy romance in high school.  It will be called Dangerous Desires (though I may change this at some point) and it will be the official sequel (cannon to Secrets that Kill). 

Or for anyone interested in reading something with a leading MC similar to Sean but slightly older,  check out my new series Cult Kid. It's a work in progress, only five pages so far.  The MC has the same name and is inspired by Sean's character from Secrets that Kill, but any other cannons don't carry over.

If you're looking for other completed boyxboy romance novels, I have The Chronicles of Lazarus and Beautiful Monsters.  Or if you're in the mood for a completed boyxgirl romance with a high school setting, check out Skinny Jeans and an Attitude Problem.  Thanks again for reading!

To anyone who vote or commented, THANK YOU! Even if it was just to tell me something I can improve on, any feedback is greatly appreciated.  Continuing to write when you feel like you're not making any progress can be hard sometimes, so I really appreciate all the opinions, reactions, and advice.