The Calm Before The Storm

Nate fidgeted in the passenger seat of Erik's car, tugging at the sleeves of his Ruby's Diner uniform. Going back there had been...nerve-wracking. The only way he'd even been able to make it through his shift was to keep reminding himself Erik was right outside to make sure nothing happened. Yup. After Zack's little murder attempt, Erik had been at his side pretty much at all times, except for when he'd had to leave to get info on Zack. He still couldn't wrap his mind around the idea that tomorrow, he, Sean, Amber, and Erik we're going to break into Zack's apartment to try and dig up some dirt on him, or that Erik was actually attempting to convince him to stay behind.

"Nathaniel, you know I'd much rather you stay behind-"

"Yeah, well that's not happening. Someone has to watch your back."

Erik let out a slight sigh, obviously displeased by the absolute resolve in Nate's voice.

"You know Sean is more than capable of doing so, Nathaniel. I assure you, you have nothing to worry yourself about-"

"Yeah? I wish that were true."

Erik raised an eyebrow, an amused smirk tugging at the corners of his lips as he cast Nate a curious glance. "Is there a particular reason you seem to believe tomorrow's events will end in a rather tragic demise for everyone involved, Nathaniel?"

Nate shot Erik a serious glare, crossing his arms and sinking further down into the seat of Erik's car.

"Yes, actually, there is."

"And what exactly would that be?"

"Oh, I don't know. Maybe because my boyfriend made his brother promise something that could only mean one thing and one thing only. And he would have never even made his brother promise something like that in the first place if he wasn't anticipating for something bad to happen."

Erik's smirk faltered slightly, though still remained on his face.

"Not to mention he shouldn't have made his brother promise something like that. Ever. In, like, a million years. And I don't even care what his reasons were for it. He shouldn't have. " Nate let out a frustrated sigh, sitting up in his seat a little more and confronting Erik full on. "C'mon, Erik. We're in this together. I mean, whatever happens and shit, I don't want you sneaking around behind the scenes trying to protect me. This isn't just your life that's on the line here. This is mine too. I mean, what the hell type of future do you think I'd even have without you?"

"Nathaniel-"

"And if you really think that's how shit is going to go down tomorrow, I want to come. I mean, I want to come anyways, but especially if you think things are going to get all screwy and shit. I want to be there with you, no matter what goes down. I already went through the whole 'I think I'm gonna die' scenario, remember? And the worst part about it was that you weren't even there, so I couldn't even say anything to you or shit. So, if that's really what you think is gonna happen-"

"Nathaniel, that is in no way how I foresee things going tomorrow-"

"Then why did you make Sean promise what you did? I mean, that's the only way it would make sense."

"I see no harm in planning for all scenarios, Nathaniel. You are my number one priority, and I would like to ensure that you will be taken care of in the even t that Zack does in fact get what he wants."

Nate could feel his throat suddenly grow tight and dry, flames licking at his lungs. Gah. Even the very thought of what Erik was suggesting was horrible. And the fact that he was speaking about it so casually, like they were talking about what they were going to have for dinner or some shit, was just making him more pissed.