The Meathead's Epiphany

"So, were exactly are we going?" Nate asked, obviously displeased that they were yet again climbing stairs.

"Were almost there." Erik called over his shoulder, pausing as he reached the top landing to the final flight of stairs. A few seconds later, Nate joined him, completely out of breath.

"Having a bit of difficulty, are we?" Erik asked, an amused look on his face as he took in the sight of Nate gasping for breath.

Nate glared up at him, his hands on his knees as he fought to catch his breath. "Oh shut up."

Erik chuckled, pushing open the door and holding it open for Nate. "I wouldn't want to strain you anymore than you already are."

Nate scowled up at him, but proceeded forward through the open door. They were....on top of the roof? Holy crap, they were up high. Like, seriously drop-to-your-death high. There was only one building higher up than they were, the lot of brick apartments to the right lying parallel to them. At least he thought they were brick. It was pretty hard to make out in the dark.

He heard Erik follow after him as the door closed with a light click.

"What the hell are we doing up here?"

Nate flinched as Erik's hand passed over his shoulder, pointing to the right. Nate squinted, trying to make out what Erik was pointing to. It was so dark out by now Nate couldn't see worth shit.

"Here." Erik said, sensing Nate's confusion as he led the way over to the area he'd been pointing to. There was a large feather down blanket spread out neatly across the rooftop, and a basket sitting to its left.

"Uh....?" Nate stared down at the blanket, not really sure what Erik expected him to do with some blanket in the dark while they were on a rooftop.

"Sit..." Erik said, making Nate jump slightly. Holy crap. He hadn't realized how close he was.

Nate swallowed hard, wanting to ask questions but deciding it'd be best to just sit down and see what the hell Erik was up to this time.

He could hear Erik's footsteps sound behind him as the darkness engulfed him. After a few short clicks, Nate turned his head, realizing some type of image was being projected on the wall of the brick building parallel to the rooftop.

The familiar Disney icon flashed across the building before the title appeared....Finding Nemo? Oh shit.

No. He. Hadn't. This was both Nate's all time favorite movie and dirty little secret....well, this and his piggy slippers. He knew Amber must've blabbed. She was the only one he'd ever dared to tell. A teenage boy should be into something more...appropriate, like The Matrix, or The Gladiator. Not this. Not something made to entertain 5 year old girls.

His only saving grace had to be the darkness that would hide his blush, at least for the most part. The castoff light from the projector might give him away, though. Crap.

"Don't tell me you've had a sudden change of heart." Erik mused, taking a seat to the left of Nate as he picked up the basket and put it between them.

"I don't know what you're talking about." Nate fibbed, biting his lip. There was no way he was willingly going to admit his embarrassing fondness for Finding Nemo.

"Would it make you feel better if I told you my favorite movie was Bambi?"

"Really?"

"No. But I could pretend it was."

Nate rolled his eyes, but couldn't help but smile. It was sweet, in Erik's own little way.

"Here." Erik said, opening the basket he'd put between them. It was filled with all the little goodies you'd expect to see in any movie theater, ranging from m&m's to twizzlers to popcorn. So, this was their first date as an official couple.