15. Unbearable Pain

*Ezra POV*

I didn't feel like going back to work so I took off for the rest of the day. I went back home and locked myself in my room. Thank god Taysha moved out three days back because I don't want to face anybody right now. I don't want to cry but I am crying. I am famished but can't swallow a single bite. I have a splitting headache and want to sleep but of course, sleep and I are not best of friends. I am feeling angry, happy, sad, and many more emotions that I can't comprehend. Angry because he cheated on me behind my back. Sad because Elena told me that it is almost ten months that they both have been together. It also means that he was seeing her when we both were in a relationship. But I am also happy that a crooked man like him is not a part of my life anymore. But why does he still have this effect on me? I thought I have moved on but the mixed emotions that I am going through say otherwise.

I decided to take a shower, my emotions were all over the place, and right now all I needed was a cold shower. I changed into my night suit because I didn't want to go to High Rollers. I want to spend some time alone. Therefore I put my phone on silent and went to the mini bar in my living room. I took out a bottle of scotch and drank it in one go to numb my pain. But I forgot that these hard drinks hardly have any effect on me.

I sat there on the couch completely numb and zoned out until the ringing of my doorbell brought me back. It's already morning. Who could come this early? I went to open the door and was embraced tightly by him. Why is he here at this time?

"I was so worried about you. I thought something happened to you. And why the hell were you not answering your phone nor replying to texts? I even called Taysha but she wasn't picking up my calls. Why are you not saying anything?", he yelled.

"Y..you are... chocking me", I say trying to catch some air.

He loosened his hold, "sorry".

"I am fine now Michael and Taysha must be on her night shift", I say looking into his eyes.

"And why did you not come yesterday?"

"First come inside or you want to do all the talking at the door".

I invited him inside. He sat on the couch and I went to my room to fetch my phone. There were several texts and missed calls from Michael. I made coffee for both of us and went back to the living room.

"Here". He took the cup and I also settled down.

"Everything okay", he asked sipping his coffee.

"Yeah. I just had to work late so I didn't show up yesterday", I lied.

"You are a terrible liar Ez!", he said making me nervous. I don't want him to know the real reason.

"You are just assuming things, Mike. I was really busy with the wedding preparation." The word wedding itself left a bad taste in my mouth. For the first time, I didn't want to be in this profession.

"I am not buying your lie, Ezra, because your dried tear patches and dark circles say something else. What is bothering you? You know that you can share with me."

There was so much warmth in his voice that I couldn't stop myself from crying. I guess we have grown really close that we can even read each other's silence. He put his cup down and came near me. He wiped my tears and gave me a hug. This is exactly what I needed right now. I hugged him back and we stayed like that until I became normal.

"I met him", I say backing away from him.

"Who?", he asked squeezing my hand.

"Aiden Parker. He is my ex." He removed his hand from mine.