✿ NINE ✿

His breath dispersed into the thin cold air

His breath dispersed into the thin cold air. He pushed the door open, and on cue, the bell rang, indicating a new customer. His eyes lingered searching for a special person, and he quickly found her. She wasn't hard to miss, her beauty made her subject of attention even when she didn't want to.

The place was relatively empty, considering it was the SHINee World café, one of the hottest sites next to the campus. It didn't seem like she noticed his arrival, unlike the curious pairs observing everything inside the café. Her attention was absorbed by the sheets spread in front of her, her fingers were busy flickering the pages and typing aggressively on her laptop before writing down some notes.

He walked to the counter and ordered two iced Americanos. He hesitated long before deciding on only one sandwich. It's nighttime, he thought, sweets may be too heavy.

As he waited for the order, Donghyuck's focus went back to the table at the rear, next to the large window. He observed her and studied all her moves. He thought he could read her like an open book: Yerin portrayed a stereotypical stressed college student, probably the daughter of a doctor, she wants to become like her role model, her father. Or it could be a family member. This is the only explanation he had on why she was so keen and faithful to her major. Not that he knew many biology students -Apart from Jaemin, though Nana was a special case-, the ones he was acquainted with criticized their major but still worked hard for it. As for Yerin, rumors didn't report her complaining about it.

No, he didn't make assumptions. He heard from Im Chaeyoung, Jaemin's best friend, that a while ago when a famous doctor, Shim Changmin, owner of a hospital chain, came to salute the honor students, he seemed to recognize Yerin. His theory was that Dr. Changmin knew her through her father who is a doctor.

Haechan had talked to Jaemin, and they discovered that Nana shared most, if not all of Yerin's classes. Jaemin told him how she was disciplined during lectures and a social butterfly outside. However, he also learned that many people, mostly her classmates, didn't like her and didn't get along with her. It must be because of the scenario he predicted.

"Haechan-ah!"

"Onew Hyung!" Hyuck turned to the café manager and owner who had appeared with a tray.

"I told you to call me Jinki when it's just you and me, Onew is for work only" The old man giggled. "Xiumin told me you ordered two coffees and he is worried that you might stay awake, full of energy. Should we call your sister just in case? You know, we don't want the same thing that happened last time to occur again right?"

Donghyuck facepalmed. "I appreciate the concern, but no, thank you. It's for my teammate."

Onew followed where his friend was pointing. "Yerin? Jeon Yerin?"

"Yeah."

"I don't have to worry then, you're in between safe hands. Go get that grade, sir."

Haechan rolled his eyes, ignoring the curiosity that was eating him from the inside about Onew's trust in Yerin, before giving a smile and heading to his table. He waved at Minho, the cashier, who was discussing with Minseok -Or Xiumin-, the bartender.