Part eleven

"Zarkon! How did he find us?" Allura exclaimed as they all ran to their stations.
"His commanders must have radioed him from Olkarion." Keith offered, his voice gravelly from tiredness.
"We need to wormhole, now! Everyone to your stations. We've got to put some distance between us and Zarkon. This could be the fight of our lives." Shiro ordered.
"That's sure a lot of fighters." Keith couldn't tell if hunk sounded scared or not with his wondering focus.

"Allura, can you evade these fighters? We can't have them following us through the wormhole." -Shiro

"I can try."

"Keith, Lance, let's lay down some covering fire." The three of them activated their defense drones taking out as many fighters as they could.

"Lance, incoming, 12 o'clock high!" Pidge shouted from across the room.

"Got it! Hey!" Keith's drone pushed lance's to the side and took out the fighter instead.
"Sorry! Gotta be quick!"

"How's that for quick?" Lance growled as he pushed him back.

"You..." the two of them now banging into each other at a constant rate.

"Knock it off, you two! Stay in your zones!" Shiro shouted from the helm.

"Yeah, Keith!" Keith felt a little more energetic from the encounter with lance and got back to his task.

"Keep calling out those fighters, Pidge. Hunk, how are the defenses holding?"

"I don't know. Ten percent? Fifteen maybe? Everything's a blur. I've been up too long. I have tired eyes!"

"I know we just came off an intense battle, but we've got to stay focused, just until we jump."

"And when is that?" Keith growled his anger returning quicker than usual.

"They're still too close! We need to gain more speed!" Coran chirped from the front."

"I've got an idea! Hold on!"

"Allura, what are you doing?"

"I'm going to use this moon's gravity to gain speed and put some distance between us and Zarkon."

"We're clear to wormhole!"

"We got away from Zarkon, how come we're still on alert?" Lance piped up, Keith only then noticed how quiet he'd been. 'He isn't annoyed at me, is he?'

"Coran, what's going on?"

"Oh, no! Teluduv lens malfunction! We're about to exit this wormhole a lot sooner than we planned!"

"Whoa. Where are we? Looks like some sort of iceberg graveyard." Lance observed.

'At least he's talking again.' Keith would never admit it but lance's constant joking and rambling usually put him at ease and keep their conversations away from any uncomfortable silences.

————————————————————

"Huh? What the heck do you think you're doing?" Keith stepped into the elevator to see lance standing there in blue swim trunks with a towel round his shoulders.

He turned away hoping to cover the blush in his face from seeing Lance so exposed.

"Allura said there's a pool. I'm gonna go check it out. What do you think you're doing?" Keith answered a little more grumpily than he intended.

Lance sighed, "Same thing."

'Okay I don't think that hurt him at all. Wait why would it? we say worse to each other all the time. He knows it's just a joke. Calm down Keith.'
————————————————————

"Look, you stay on one side of the pool and I'll stay on the other, and we'll be far, far away from each other. Very... far... away."
'Why doesn't he want to be near me. Am I really that annoying?'

Like that's even a question at this point.

Lance was trying to look anywhere but Keith, his poor bi brain was spiraling right now, but he didn't want to cause himself to panic by close all the walls were.
They were literally in a small metal box that was just being pulled up a shaft on a 10,000 year old ship that had already tried to kill him on multiple occasions.

So it didn't help when the lights went off.