Volume 4: Two Steps Forward, Two Steps back

Ruby POV

Me and the others made a stretcher to carry Y/n to get him medical treatment. I was walking in front and Jaune was in the back keeping an eye on him, Nora was behind us with her weapon equipped, Qrow and Ren were up front to see if we're at a nearby village somewhere we can get Y/n medicine for the poison.

Ruby: Just... hold on, Y/n.

Y/n was laying down on the stretcher groaning in pain.

Y/n: Master... I'm sorry... I... I failed you... Master.

Y/n was coughing bad from the effects that he has.

Jaune: He's getting worse.

Ruby: How much farther?

Nora: We've gotta be close.

Ren: Without the map, there's no way of knowing. But I feel like we're close to something.

Qrow: Come on, there's gotta be a village that has a doctor or medical supplies.

Ren and Qrow stop to see something up ahead.

Ruby: What is it?

Ren and Qrow went up ahead while we followed them. Nora went up ahead too to see some signs for Mistral and other directions.

Nora: Hey, hey! Mistral! We're on the right path! Oh...

Ruby: Does it say how close?!

Ren: No. And it looks like the path takes us up to the mountains.

Me and Jaune set down Y/n for what we should do.

Jaune: Guys. I don't know if all of us can make that climb.

I looked at Y/n's bandage, it's getting worse. I ran to look at the signs to see which way is faster.

Ruby: Okay. Well, what about this place? Kuro... Kuroyuri. Can we get help there?

Ren: That village was destroyed years ago.

Jaune: But if it takes us around the mountains, it's the best bet we've got.

Ren: It will take too long.

Ruby: The town would have had a doctor, right? Or maybe we could scavenge for medicine!

Qrow: Yeah, if the place still has any.

Jaune: Right!

Ren: We're not going to find anything! We just have to press on!

I never heard Ren being this serious. I don't know why he didn't want us to go to that village.

Jaune: Ren, why are you acting-

Nora: We can split up.

Ruby: Huh?

Nora: Ren and I can cut through the mountains while you, Ruby, and Qrow take Y/n around the village.

Jaune: No, we're supposed to stick together. We keep each other safe!

Nora: We don't have time for safe! If we make it to Mistral, we'll bring back help! If we don't, we'll at least have a better view of the land! Up there, we can see if there's somewhere else we can go!

Ren and Nora looked at each other for a second, until we heard Y/n coughing bad again. We have to get him medicine quick.

Jaune: Okay.

Jaune and Ren hugged each other for good luck and let go.

Jaune: Just take care of each other.

Qrow: And be careful up there.