Stop And Stare (a Niall Horan fan fic)

chapter one:

*Flashback*

I could feel my heartbeat through my ears, as we walked on stage, hand-in-hand. Once we were center-stage, the judges asked us for our names. I watched as my best friend, the boy who I knew since Kindergarden, said softly into his microphone, "N-Niall Horan."

Simon Cowell looked up at me. "And you?" Although I opened my mouth to say something, I couldn't speak.

I looked at Niall and watched as he turned his head to face the judges. "This is my partner Delilah Wilson"

"What will you be singing for us today?"

I held up my microphone, "We will be singing 'Love Song' by Sara Bareilles."

Once the music started playing, Niall began to sing. This was our favorite song. Our song.

I stood there, and watched Niall, while patiently waiting for my turn. Once he dropped the microphone from his mouth, he smiled and winked at me.

I took a deep breath, and started to sing the chorus. We were great. At least thats what everyone told us.

Once the song was over, I grabbed Niall's hand as we walked up to the judges.

It was the best feeling in the world when the each congratulated us with a "yes".

**Flashback**

I couldn't believe it. It was only day two when Simon called to set up a meeting with us. I was terrified, and I suppose Niall was too, since he hadn't said a single word on the way there.

Once Simon entered the room, i felt sick to my stomache.

"Okay, I talked with the other judges about this, and they all agree. We have decided to let you both go solo for the rest of the competition. I know it's a lot to take in."

I was furious and on the verge of tears, but fought them back and continued to listen.

Niall raised his head, with a shocked look on his face, "Why?"

"Well, you both have fantastic voices, but you need to be able to show them off more."

**Flashback**

Getting voted off was probably the worst thing that had ever happened to me. Well, next to being replaced. After they separated Niall and I, they put him in a different group with four other boys. It hurt at first, we didn't hangout as much and didn't text as often. But when I was voted off that night, everything changed.

Niall called and told me he was going to stop by earlier today, to talk. I was hoping he was going to tell me that he would come home with me and drop out. Terrible, right? The truth is I had a crush on him and was hoping to see if he liked me back by dropping out and coming with me.

"I'm so sorry about last night. I don't know how that could have happened, you were amazing."

"Thanks." I mumbled, stuffing as much as I could into the suitcase.

"I think I am going to stay though, just to see how far I can make it. We can still email and stuff if you want."

I felt as if I had been punched in the stomache, but still managed to nod.

We didn't have much of a "goodbye", just a small hug. That was all it took though, to make me realize that I had just lost my best friend.

**End of Flashback, beginning of modern time**

The light was burning in my eyes, which were about to snap shut. I looked over and checked my clock. It was almost 12:30 am, but I had to see if he replied.

I clicked on the 'sign in' button and watched the bar fill with blue. Once it loaded, I checked my inbox. Nothing. It had been over a year since he replied, but somehow I made it a habit to check everyday, just to make sure.

I like to think that I'll just wake up one morning and there will be '1 New Email from Niall Horan'. Maybe, but my last strand of hope is slowly being snipped away, day by day.

Yes, I was in love with that boy, but I just don't know anymore. He was my best friend and he was there when everyone else wasn't. My eyes start to sting.

*Flashback*

"Niall, I'm fine." I say coldly, I look at Niall and give him a reassuring smile, then I look back at the ground and start to walk away, then I feel a warm hand wrap around my wrist and pull me towards them. Niall puts his thumb under my chin and lifts my head up, a tear runs down my cheek, "Look at me, Delilah," I don't look, "Delilah! Look at me!" I look at him in his deep, blue eyes and he says, "Do not believe those bitches, you hear me?" I nod my head, "Do not listen to them, you aren't ugly, you're the most beautiful girl I've ever seen in my life, okay?"

I look away from him and say, "I'm obviously not good enough.

"Delilah, you are, you're more than 'good enough'" I feel soft lips on my forehead as he pulls me for a bone crushing hug.

*Flashback*

I can't believe I haven't made a single friend this whole day, the first day of Kindergarden. I look around to see if there are any other people who would like to be my friend, but just about everyone is taken. Standing there in my pig tails held together by purple ribbon's, I begin to sing my ABC's, "A B C D E F G H I J K L N M O-"

"Hahahaha! You mixed up your letters! 'N' goes after 'M' stupid!" said the kid from across from me. He had a buzz cut and was wearing red sport shorts with a blue t shirt.

I was about to tell the teacher when a boy with brown hair wearing overall's walked up to him, "Don't call her stupid!"

Before I knew it, the boy had punched the kid right in the face, causing him to burst into tears.

"Your gonna get in trouble!" I said to the boy.

"I don't care. My name is Niall. Wanna be friends?" he said, resting his hands on his overall straps.

"Sure!" I couldn't help smile, I knew that we were going to be good friends.

*End of Flashback*